How To Print PIX 515 Configuration

I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write", "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a newbie to Cisco so I need details.

Thanks

Reply to
Albie
Loading thread data ...

I always just use a terminal emulator program (I use PuTTY for over-the-network sessions, and hyperterminal or minicom for serial), and turn on logging for printable output to a file, then do a 'show run'. There might be a fancy way, but this is very straightforward.

Almost any terminal emulator will do this- hyperterminal will if you use Transfer....Capture text option.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

In article , Albie wrote: :I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a :file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write", :"configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to :print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a :newbie to Cisco so I need details.

1) set up a tftp server 2) [on most servers but not all] pre-create the destination file and make it writable by the tftp daemon (e.g., world writable) 3) on the PIX, go into configuration mode and use the tftp-server command to point to the correct interface and host and filename. [*] 4) on the PIX, go into configuration mode and command write net IMPORTANT: you MUST be in configuration mode, not in command mode! 5) back on the tftp server, look at the newly-written file.

[*] Advanced Use:

You need the tftp-server command to indicate the proper interface, but it does not actually need to indicate the proper host or proper output file. You can specify the host and output file on the "write net" command-line.

write net THEHOST:FILENAME

The default interface for tftp-server is the inside interface.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File |Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I can view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to enter a command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both worlds, IMO.

Reply to
you know who maybe

What is PDM and is it a tool for Cisco products? Where can I find this tool and how is it run? I've already asked for the file and received it after my colleague was able to copy and paste it to a notepad. It was tedious and impracticle to do it that way but if we used this "PDM" it might help us to better view the configuration. Thanks again!

Reply to
Albie

I'll try this out and see howfar I can get into it without screwing up anything. Thanks.

Reply to
Albie

PDM is a graphical user interface (GUI) for PIX. It is downloaded from Cisco's website if you have a maintenance contract, etc.

To see if you have PDM already installed type "show ver" at the config line. You are looking for something like this:

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(5) Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 3.0(4)

Reply to
you know who maybe

PDM (PIX Device Manager) is a monitoring and management tool that must be installed on your PIX and you must have a current valid maintenance contract with Cisco to dl it.

When I was a Cisco new-newbie I refused to believe the 'experts' when I was told to learn from the CLI because it is too slow and limited to rely on PDM. Not that GUI editing is bad but Cisco's PDM just plain sucks for editing your configuration! Now that I am a old-newbie, I understand. The PDM is great for monitoring (mine runs all the time) but seriously learn to configure your PIX from the CLI; the free telnet prog. Putty is one of the best (much better than Microsoft's telnet).

BTW, if you have an older PIX, be prepared to shell out a lot of extra money if you want the latest PDM because your PIX will require more memory.

Anyhow, viewing and printing your configuration is really simple from within PDM like another contributor stated already. FILE / SHOW RUNNING CONF in another window.

To access PDM, simply open your Internet Browser (doesn't work in Firefox), and enter: https://yourpixipaddress For an excellent resource about PDM see here:

formatting link
To print your configuration from PuTTY
formatting link
to your PIX Type: #sh conf (for show configuration) Click the top/left screen icon (in Putty) and select, "COPY ALL TO CLIPBOARD" Open a text browser and paste.

That is all.

Shawn

Reply to
everyidgone

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.