How does Allied Telesis CentreCOM TM AT-210T and AT-210TS Micro Transceiver work

I recently bought a big box of surplus computer parts at our universities surplus auction for $10.00. It consisted mostly of sound cards and video cards, a couple of external modems, mice,keyboards, etc that had been upgraded to fancier models; about thirty items in total. ( I have a friend in the IT department that did a lot of the upgrading so I know generally where they came from) As well as the things mentioned above I got three Allied Telesis CentreCOM AT-210TS Micro Transceivers. I know they are Ethernet Transceivers , but how do they work? I am familiar with the twisted pair connector at one end but I have never seen a 15 pin D connector that is on the other end. I got a copy of the owners manual and it says it a DTE connector. This means an RS-232 connector to me, but as I said I have never heard of a 15 pin RS-232 connector before. Harold A Climer Department Of Physics,Geology & Astronomy U.T Chattannnoga Room 223 Grote Hall

615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37493
Reply to
Harold A Climer
Loading thread data ...

It is the ethernet connector you will find on older computers.

It is from the 10 megabit days, so you won't find it on newer machines, which means newer than about 10 years ago by now.

For PC-type machines, with ISA, PCI, microchannel, etc., bus, it is usually easier to replace the card if it has one, but for machines like Sun, Silicon Graphics, IBM RT-PC, MicroVAX, it might have built-in ethernet with AUI connector (the DTE tells which end), and often also BNC connector. With the transceiver on the AUI port you can connect it to a UTP ethernet network.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Also called MAUs, some info here

formatting link

Not all DTE's are RS-232 ( see V.35, RS-422, etc)

Also nearly all older PC serial ports were 15 pin RS-232

Reply to
Reed

So I guessing that it was not really designed for a "Regular" PC? More for work stations? I have had a quite few "IBM type"computers since the early 90's and have never seen a 15 pin serial port. In the owners manual is says "The AT-210T or AT-210TS connects directly to a DTE or workstation AUI connector". Am I mistaken in thinking that DTE means RS-232? Harold A Climer Department Of Physics,Geology & Astronomy U.T Chattannnoga Room 223 Grote Hall

615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37493
Reply to
Harold A Climer

"regular" PC's would have an Ethernet "NIC" added, like these

formatting link

see

formatting link

Reply to
Reed

Yes. It's AUI attachment Unit Interface, an antique form of connection for 10mb ethernet. Goes back to the days of the 1/2" diameter, bright yellow coax ethernet (10base-5 IIRC).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Peters

Yes, you are mistaken. DTE just means the "terminal/user" end (Data Terminal Equipment) of a terminal-to-communications-device connection. The other end is the DCE (Data Communications Equipment). DTE/DCE pairs can be RS-232, V.35, etc. What you have is an Ethernet AUI DTE/ DCE pair, which was the original, circa 1980-1990 method of connecting a network device (the DTE) to an Ethernet transceiver (the DCE). This interface operates only at 10 Mb/s, and is documented in both the original DEC-Intel-Xerox Ethernet Specification, and the IEEE 802.3 standard for 10 Mb/s operation (both of which I co-authored).

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

How much do you want for them?

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.