Cisco 1750 Config...

I have started this post...

formatting link

nobody is replying anymore. I guess it has fell down the list. I cannot connect to the internet via T1. I am just setting this up. Tell me how to paste my config, and i will. I know how to capture text to a file, but how do i do it so that it will not say More after every page? Also what command?

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin0803
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ok, here is my config. Tell me what is wrong. I cannot ping internet from the router.

Thanks

show run Building configuration...

Current configuration: ! ! NVRAM config last updated at 14:14:39 UTC Mon Nov 28 2005 ! version 12.1 service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime service password-encryption ! hostname mtnbilling ! enable password 7 0456041301354D4707 ! ! ! ! ! memory-size iomem 25 ip subnet-zero no ip routing ip name-server 166.102.165.11 ! ! ! ! interface Serial0 description connected to Internet ip address 162.40.xxx.x 255.255.255.248 encapsulation ppp no ip route-cache service-module t1 remote-alarm-enable ! interface FastEthernet0 description connected to EthernetLAN ip address 192.168.xx.x 255.255.255.0 no ip route-cache speed auto ! ip classless no ip http server ! snmp-server engineID local 0000000902000004C14E487F snmp-server community public RO snmp-server location Hazard, KY snmp-server contact Jason Sandlin, banner motd ^C=============================

Property of Mountain Billing Services

=============================^C ! line con 0 exec-timeout 0 0 password 7 104C0015091E1C0C login transport input none line aux 0 line vty 0 4 password 7 030652070A062F4B login ! no scheduler allocate end

Reply to
jsandlin0803

I just tried this config, but it did not work...I tried nat, but it never worked.

Building configuration...

Current configuration: ! version 12.1 service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime service password-encryption ! hostname mtnbilling ! enable password 7 0456041301354D4707 ! ! ! ! ! memory-size iomem 25 ip subnet-zero no ip domain-lookup ! ! ! ! interface Serial0 description connected to Internet ip address 162.40.xxx.2 255.255.255.248 ip nat outside encapsulation ppp service-module t1 remote-alarm-enable ! interface FastEthernet0 description connected to EthernetLAN ip address 192.168.xx.x 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside speed auto ! router rip version 2 passive-interface Serial0 network 192.168.0.0 no auto-summary ! ip nat inside source list 1 interface Serial0 overload ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0 no ip http server ! snmp-server engineID local 0000000902000004C14E487F snmp-server community public RO snmp-server location snmp-server contact Jason Sandlin, banner motd ^C=============================

Property of Mountain Billing Services

=============================^C ! line con 0 exec-timeout 0 0 password 7 104C0015091E1C0C login transport input none line aux 0 line vty 0 4 password 7 030652070A062F4B login ! en

Reply to
jsandlin0803

In article , jsandlin0803 wrote: :Ok, here is my config. Tell me what is wrong. I cannot ping internet :from the router.

Why do you have ip routing turned off when you are expecting your router to route your ping packages to the internet ?

Is there a particular reason you turned off ip route-cache? You do not appear to be doing per-packet load balancing, and you do not appear to have multiple connections to the same interface, and you probably aren't running low on memory.

formatting link

Again, why have you turned off ip route-cache?

I also notice that your FastEthernet0 interface has an RFC1918 reserved IP address, and that you have no set up any routes to send any public IP space through the FastEthernet0 link to a deeper router (or firewall). If you were to turn on ip routing, your internal packets would leave the router towards the internet, but nothing would be able to reply because they wouldn't be able to find 192.168.xx.x to get back to.

You need to do one of three things: a) Use a public IP space on your FastEthernet0 interface (and internally); b) route a public IP space to a deeper router/firewall; or c) set up the FastEthernet0 as a nat inside and the Serial0 interface as a nat outside in order to translate your RFC1918 private IPs into a public IP as they go out of the router.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I do not have anything connected to the Ethernet port right now. I am just getting it set up throught the db9 cable. I want to be able the ping out.

I will be getting a PIX515E for the firewall, but look at the post above yours (we must have posted at the same time). I turned on nat and ip route. The second config that i posted still does not allow me to connect to ping 166.102.165.11 (dns server).

Please throw some more ideas.

Sorry for being a beginner.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin0803

Do i need a second public ip on the ethernet side, and put the privates on the PIX?

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin0803

By the way, this is a fractional T1. Do I need to assign channels or something?

Thanks

Reply to
jsandlin0803

On your serial0 connection, do you have the right mask? I see you using .248 and I'm wondering if it shouldn't be .252.

Dave

Reply to
sgtcasey

They gave me the ip address range of 162.40.148.0/29. Should it be .248 or .252? I thought .248 but i could be wrong. I will try .252 and see what happens just in case. Does anything else look wron on my config?

Reply to
jsandlin0803

That did not fix the problem......

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin0803

Well /29 is .248 so you're correct there. Did the telco you are leasing the T1 from confirm that it's up? Any alarms on the demarc when you're plugged into the router?

The config looks okay to me, but then I have very little experience configuring a router to get onto a T1 other than copy and paste configs someone else put together.

Dave Still a newbie CCNA.

Reply to
sgtcasey

The demarc has all lights good. 2 green and 2 amber (i think that is correct). I just cannot get out. Does anyone know the encapsulation that Alltel uses? I have a Fractional T1, but i dont know if it is PPP or DHLC or Frame-Relay. I never got any setting if it is anything other than PPP.

Reply to
jsandlin0803

Alltel should be able to tell you.

On a quick check, I find someone's (non-working) config that suggests you might need a somewhat different approach to your Serial0:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:nLkQDmfbDD4J:forums.techplug.com/index.php (note: this is in google cache)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I will get with Alltel to try and iron this out. If anyone else can find anyhting that may be causing this problem, please help.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin0803

I see this:

! ip nat inside source list 1 interface Serial0 overload ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0 no ip http server !

but I don't see

access-list 1 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255

since there is no source list, it doesn't know what to use to nat....

Add this and see if it works...

Reply to
garrisb

Also,

Check the ISP circuit install docs.... it should have:

1) The serial connection which is usually a /30. 2) The ip addresses you use to get out to the internet usually a small block between 4 -16 ip's..... 3) DNS servers you're supposed to forward external request to....
Reply to
garrisb

I can now ping the outside. I turned NAT off, and used ip unnumbered for the serial. i then put the wan ip on ethernet 0. I also had to put in the time slots and the speed. I can now ping outside. I just have to hook up the firewall and check out the LAN connectivity.

I appreciate all of your guys' help.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin0803

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.