Qos for video Conferencing

I am the IT Admin for a company just getting off the ground. That being said, the IT budget is relatively limited (extremely limited actually). My superiors are trying to go the cheap route in most aspects (as you may have been able to see if you have read any of my previous posts). I am looking at a NetGear 48 port switch for just under $300 but it is unmanaged and provides no QoS, VLANs, etc. Down the road, they want the ability to use video conferencing over the T1. Will it be a large problem without being able to implement QoS on the switch? Currently, only 35 of the 48 ports will have traffic and it will be utilizing connectivity for Internet and to our lone server running a whole slew of services included with Microsoft SBS.

Thanks.

Reply to
Holleran.Kevin
Loading thread data ...

Hi Kevin,

You may also wish to investigate the extremely active and robust Cisco Video over IP Forum.

Video conferencing and IP/TV:

formatting link
Found at Cisco Systems Forums:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Authorized Distributors Worldwide
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Brad,

THanks for the response. Would it be possible to look at another topic for me? Remote Access at

formatting link
No one has responded yet and you seem very knowledgeable. I am trying to convince my company to purchase a Cisco ASA instead of this cheap thing.

Thanks.

Kev> Hi Kevin,

formatting link

Reply to
K.J. 44

Kevin,

You're welcome, pleasure to be of assistance.

Please call End-User Cisco Pre-Sales Support Toll Free:

877-235-5477

or Email:

sales_enquiry *at* external.cisco.com

Cisco is very good at this.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco TAC Contacts Worldwide

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Is your T1 a private T1 (Frame, P-to-P, MPLS) to another branch? What are the routers on both sides?

For a small company, I have found that QoS on the switch is optional but QoS on the router is mandatory. You may be able to live without it, depending on your traffic flow.

Reply to
Rob

Rob,

Thanks for your response. Our T1 is simply an Internet T1 as we are the only branch. However, we have outsourced a large ecommerce project to three seperate companies and meet with them frequently via conference calls. My thinking was at this time with a 48 port switch with how small we are there will be no congestion in the switch at this time. The router is QoS capable.

Thanks for your response.

Rob wrote:

Reply to
K.J. 44

I am running Sprint MPLS

Reply to
smoove

This isn't really enough information overall. Your limiting factor in bandwidth is going to be the T1. I'm assuming this 48 port is

10/100Mbps based on the price. Think of it this way... You have 1.5 Mbit T1 to the Internet. You have 100Mbps dedicated switching on each port internal. If you're talking to people over the T1, where do you think this bottleneck is going to occur first? :)
Reply to
Sir Woogie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.