cisci ip phone 7960, what are the first steps of configuration ???

hello i got here a new 7960 ip phone i've connected to the network. then i ve made a reset. the phone obtain an ip address from my server and that was all. i cant connect per http , telnet and ssh don't works too. i dont got a terminal cable it seems this requires a special cable (not this with a rj45) in the menue on the phone i cant find options where i can enable the acces per network. as firmware is there the sip firmware with the POS3-o5-3-00 ID in the phone. i wanna use the phone as a standolone device. any ideas what i should make first. or where can i read for the first steps. in google and cisco i cant find the right topics for me. greetings Randolf Balasus

Reply to
randolf balasus
Loading thread data ...

What do you mean by 'stand-alone device'? How are you handling call-setup?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

hello thanks for the answer. i wanna use the device as a sip phone without any other components, the phone should stand behind a dsl-router with the connection to the internet. is this possible ? greeting Randolf Balasus

Reply to
Randolf Balasus

Well, something is going to need to handle call-processing and setup. Usually this is a CallManager, Asterisk, or whatever.

The main point here is that the phone is really stupid. It doesn't even know to play dial-tone when the receiver is picked up, let alone how to get to a destination phone. Something needs to tell it to do that.

If you want to run SIP, that's fine, but a SIP server doesn't have a clue about how to tell a Cisco IP Phone to be a phone.

The simplest solution is CallManagerExpress running on a router, but the cheapest is definitely Asterisk, which runs on a Linux box.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

ok i understand. i will set up a asterisk, i got linux servers in the environment, and the phone is a good looking device. greetings Randolf Balasus

Reply to
Randolf Balasus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.