7960 IP Phone probs - 'Settings' no available

I need to access a 7960, which was for a year powered off.

Firmware and tftp server are ready. I did a factory reset.

The phone tries to get an IP, but fails.

The problem: I can't access the 'settings' button.

If I press 'Settings' or '**#' and then 'Settings' nothing happen. The phone simply doesn't react somehow.

Any ideas, how I may configure the phone after a factory reset and how to reach 'Settings'?

Reply to
seaside
Loading thread data ...

Your DHCP server is not available or is not presenting the phone with the settings it needs.

In cisco speak you need:-

ip dhcp pool home-net.phone host 10.1.3.13 255.255.255.0 client-identifier 0100.1243.abcd.9e dns-server 10.99.0.1 10.98.0.1 domain-name me.com option 150 instance 1 ip 10.99.0.44 ! < -- call manager option 66 ascii "phone"

A new phone just looks for a dhcp server and takes it from there. You do NEED option 150 set. I think 66 may be unnecessary.

Reply to
Bod43

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk schrieb:

Thx. Just intalled a DHCP server on a linux box. The phone now gets an IP.

Next problem: The phone tries to retrieve 'CTLSEP00127F6D13B0.tlv' using TFTP.

I have several SIP images like 'P0S3-07-2-00.zip' available. I bought current images through eBay and a non-CallManager image through CISCO.

Unfortunately, I don't have a ''CTLSEP00127F6D13B0.tlv' somewhere.

Still, I's like to enter manual settings. But the 'Settings' key doesn't perform any action.

Hm, cisco-speak, I see. Likele, that I can't define options using a linux DNS server?

OK, I need to search some other local systems for other firmware files.

Reply to
seaside

No, I just meant that the information that I gave you was in the form of DHCP configuration for a Cisco router. The Option 150 can be configured on a windows DHCP server and I am sure can be configured on linux too.

I can't help with the particular files, I have only used Call Manager and when you install it, it magically makes available the files that are required by the phones.

If you have call manager it should all just work. Otherwise I have no idea really. I am aware that the phones :- - Get a dhcp address - and TFTP Server (150) - (via tftp) check for a firmware upgrade and do it if needed - (via tftp) download their config - register with configured Call Manager. That's it - then they go.

This is all SKINNY. Not used SIP.

Reply to
Bod43

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk schrieb:

Thx for your help anyway and A Happy New Year!

Reply to
seaside

Happy New Year first of all...

Your problem is that the IP Phone is looking for a CTL or a Certificate Trust List which defines whether it should operate in "secure" mode or not as the case maybe.

If it can't find that or receives an empty list, then it should rotate through the other configuration files such as the SEP file or the SIP file. In your case, it doesn't seem to do that. These configuration files will then tell the ip phone which CM (or software PBX such as Asterisk) to use as well as the "load" or firmware versions.

Your difficulty possibly lies with the inability to define option 66 OR option 150, either which will do, option 66 tells the IP Phone the host name of the CM or software PBX to use whilst option 150 gives it the IP address.

If you do have the TFTP server running, but haven't specified in the dhcpd.conf either one of the options, then the IP Phone wont know where to send its download request to.

Not sure which linux flava you are using but here's a link on RH:

formatting link
Hope that helps.

Reply to
rhodium78

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.