Change routing port to switch port

Hi all:

Today when I try to change the Gi1/0/1(routing port) on the fibre module of 3750 into switchport by issuing the "switchport" command, then assign it to a vlan, then I connect it to a fibre module on a nortel layer2 switch. I found out there is no conectivity between the

3750 and the nortel switch. The status of the Gi1/0/1 is "not connected". Is it because I cant do it on a fibre module?

Thank you

Reply to
xianli
Loading thread data ...

Hai, wat Model of 3750 switch r u using?Gi1/0/1 is it fiber connection or Ethernet? B'cos i hav to deal with 3750 -24 10/100/1000 ethernet + 4 SFP.I have couple of question reg that.Can u help me out?

Thanxs in advance.

Reply to
blue-birdy

The switches I am working with is a 3750 48 10/100/1000 ethernet port with 4 SFP module slots. If you have any porblems, just post it see if I can help.

Reply to
xianli

Then you certainly mean gi1/0/49.

The 48 copper ports are numbered 1 thru 48, and the SFP ones are the next 4. Same on 24 port versions.

The numbers actually are present (very tiny) in the link LEDs of the ports.

Hope this helps,

--maarten

Reply to
Maarten Carels

Thank u Xia,

What is ur network architecture?How is Gi1/0/1 is connected ?menaing wat fiber single mode or multimode fiber cable?and wat knid of patch panel u used ? Iam lookin for 3750 switch especially...

wat

Reply to
sakthisarguna

helllo...... no ...u r wrong....if it is 48 ports 10/100/1000 ethernet ......with 4 sfp ports the first SFP port will be Gi/0/1 apart from that 48 ports.i think it is needed to check both ends of the switches for correct match.... like same kind of transceiver are used or not???

Reply to
sakthisarguna

We nomally use 3750 as L3 switches, ospf route the traffic between the core switch and the vlans these L3 switches. In this case, we uplink the gi1/0/1 fiber module port to the friber module port of a Nortel470

48 ports L2 switch, then configured the gi1/0/1 as a switchport in a vlan. But the friber module of the Nortel 470 can't communicate with the fiber module of cisco 3750. The fiber we used is sc to lc. We have tried some Nortel450 28 ports switches, they can communicate with the cisco fiber module well. Have no idea of this strange thing, anyone has a clue?

We used multimode fiber between the core switch and these 3720 switches. I think we used single mode fiber for the long distance, such as the one between the boundry router and core switch, but not sure about it. We use both Cat5 and Cat6 patch panels.

Regards

Reply to
xianli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.