Configuring Routed Interfaces on 3750 Switch

I'm confused.

I always assumed I could configure this on a 3750 switch, just like on a 6500:

interface FastEthernet1/0/1 description LINK to XXX IP address 10.4.1.1 255.255.255.0

But, it won't accept the command on the 3750, instead, to have a routable interface, I have to do this:

interface FastEthernet1/0/1 description LINK to XXX switchport access vlan 2

interface Vlan2 ip address 10.4.1.1 255.255.255.0

And it works just fine.

What simple, obvious thing have I missed here?

Reply to
Arthur Brain
Loading thread data ...

Nothing. Cisco isn't very consistant platform to platform. Each "family" of products usually is different in the way it works and configures.

The 3750 is closer to the smaller layer-2 switches than the larger

4500/6500/7600 products.

Try to mix VLAN trunking up on router platforms vs. switches next. That'll drive you nutso.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Under the interface you have to enter "no switchport" to make it a layer 3 interface. It's layer 2 by default.

interface FastEthernet1/0/1 no switchport description Link to whatever ip address 10.4.1.1 255.255.255.0 no shut

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Bingo! Obvious now you mention it...

Reply to
Arthur Brain

Most of the layer 3 switches, you have to mention "no switchport" to make a particular interface a routed interface. In contrary, Cat 6500 (with IOS) is routed ports by default and you have to mention "switchport" in order to make it layer 2 port.

Reply to
Aung

That's what got me - I use 6500 & 3750s and they are so similar I forget they are different!!!

Reply to
Arthur Brain

I would say:-

Cisco is very consistent platform to platform however there are a few discrepencies that I guess inevitably arise do to differing principles of operation. Occasionally there are apparently unnecessary differences but they are rare.

Just my view. Maybe you have not worked much with other manufacturers kit. Usually they just start with a clean piece of paper for every new model. It's as if the previous stuff did not exist. The worst ever was DEC. For starters you needed a different magico-special console cable for evey different piece of kit. IIRC different magico-special configuration software too.

Most of them are no longer in the networking equipment business (or worse [/better]) : -))

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.