Catalyst 3550 refuses to reload!

Hello,

i get the following message if i type "reload" :

Reply to
karstenf
Loading thread data ...

%SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS : %ERROR: Not able to process Signature in [chars].

Explanation An unknown error occurred when the system attempted to process the signature in the specified image file. A valid signature ensures the integrity of the image.

Recommended Action Do not use this file. The file might be corrupted or modified. Attempt to copy the file again, or download the file again from the

formatting link
page before copying it. If this message recurs, open a case with the Technical Assistance Center via the Internet at
formatting link
contact your Cisco technical support representative and provide the representative with the information you have gathered. Attach the following information to your case in nonzipped, plain-text (.txt) format: the output of the show logging and show tech-support commands and your pertinent troubleshooting logs.

Reply to
Merv

[...]

Hello, i saw this documentation page too. But what does it mean?? I originally posted:

SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature in flash:. ^^ The error wasn't linked to a specific file.

I also checked the ios image located on the flash with the "verify" command, it was o.k.

Furthermore i formatted the whole flash and downloaded a fresh image from cisco.com and copied it to the flash.

But all there things didn't solv the problem: The above error-message occured each time i typed in the "reload" command.

Perhaps there was a problem with the process handling the filesystems on the switch. As stated before, i could't access the nvram: filesystem properly.

Karsten

Reply to
karstenf

Perhaps you can provide some additional background info.

Is this the first time you have trued to reload this switch with this IOS image

Has the image been changed recently, etc

Reply to
Merv

dir nvram: may not be a valid command on a 3550

what does dir flash: show ?

Reply to
Merv

Unfortunately I don't believe power-cycling the switch will fix the problem. If the IOS you are running has the capability to "format nvram", you should try that. If it doesn't, you'll need to replace the switch. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes the NVRAM does go bad.

Good Luck JC

Reply to
J.Cottingim

The image was changed and rebooted 1 week ago. There was no reboot after this change.

Regards,

Karsten

Reply to
karstenf

?

i think, it`s a valid command:

Reply to
karstenf

The ios didn't allow me to format the nvram. Because

SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature in flash:.

referenced to the flash filesystem, i formatted the flash and copied a new Image on it. But the above message appeared after each reload-try!

Now, i drove to the rack and power-cycled the switch. Now everything is fine again! But i think, it was a very strange error and luckily no customers were affected...

Karsten

Reply to
karstenf

After you power-cycled the switch you could issue the reload command without getting the error message?

I would open a case with the Cisco TAC and find out if this is a known problem.

I would also determine if their is a newer IOS image for the switch.

Reply to
Merv

Yes, there`s no error message and i get the reload confirmation prompt.

Now, there is 12.2.25SEE3 running.

Karsten

Reply to
karstenf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.