Is there an SNMP equivalent to "Reload in [x]" / "Reload cancel" commands?

I am writing software that uses SNMP to configure a Cisco 3725 and would like to know if there is an SNMP equivalent to these commands in order to automatically restore the config if something goes horribly wrong. Or will I have to resort to using Telnet as well?

One other q - will these commands only work if the running config is altered or will they also work if the Startup config is altered?

Any advice/suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
steve.chambers
Loading thread data ...

They are unrelated to changes, they will work even if nothing is altered.

Issueing "reload in" when making running config changes give you a warm tummy feeling since if you screw something up and lock yourself out the router will reboot and load the (presumably working) startup config as the running config.

Issueing "reload in" when making startup config changes is kinda pointless. The recomended sequence is to make your "reload in" protected running config changes first and only when you're sure its OK do a copy from running to startup.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

If I recall correctly, there are two different MIBs for that functionality, depending upon model and IOS version.

My recollection is that the current SNMP method is to first write a command number to one OID, and then write the time until that command into another OID. To cancel, you rewrite the time to 0.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

load the snmplink.org online MIB browser and search for 'reload' in all Cisco MIBs You may find something there is it exists. Hope that helps.

Reply to
jay

Yes, you can reload the router using SNMP. You will need to configure the following commands first -

snmp-server community private RW snmp-server system-shutdown

Then follow the instructions at

formatting link
Cisco da Gama
formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

Never mind my last response. I blanked on the fact that you were asking about how to do a scheduled reload using SNMP and not a regular reload. Sorry.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.