Can someone recommend a router/switch please

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. Ive set up 8 computers to be able to learn on and experiment without the fear causing havoc on the LAN at work. Im would like to purchase a cisco router and switch to hook to to practice commands, see how things work etc etc.

I was looking at them on Ebay, and need some advice on what would be a good model number series to get that will support all the commands out now, upgrading the IOS etc. Right now I'm looking at the 2600 series routers. Any suggestions?

What about switches? Would something in the 2800 series provide me with something to learn on? Is that too old? Thanks a lot

Carito

Reply to
Dwayne
Loading thread data ...

The 2600's are good. Still getting a little long in the tooth, but still relevant. A dual ethernet model would be ideal (ie. 2611, 2621) because ethernet is easier than serial, but you pay more for the more usable system. A 1720/1750 should be alright too, although there isn't much price difference, and the 2600 will give you more features.

Personaly, for what they charge for some of the dual ether routers on eBay, I'd seriously look at a Cisco refurbed 2801 from a dealer. Comes with two ethers, its the most current model in that line, and the memory/flash expandibility options are super cheap, because its current PC stuff. Ie. sparco.com has factory refurb 2801 for $1069.

The 2800 is probably too old to be of much use. The 2924xl-en (8MB model, but not the models without the -en on the end, or 4M models) or equivilent (ie. 2924m-xl-en or 2924c-xl-en) would be good because you can do VLAN trunking on it, and that is very current now.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

great thanks for the help. I'll check them out again. I defintely want to get one that I can play around with VLANs on

Reply to
Dwayne

You will not be able to upgrade IOS on a used device, but would be able to do so on a refurbished device:

formatting link
You'd probably need the part LL26C= (Cisco 2600 Series, IP Featureset). It appears that the cost would be $US275 to $US400 ($US1200 if you don't look around!)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Oh. I didnt realize that I wouldnt be able to update/upgrade the IOS on a used device. I guess that includes both routers and switches then? So if I am looking for one on Ebay and there are a lot, I need to make sure that in the descrip it says that it is refurbished??

the part LL26C- thats the 2600 series and the c is what gives it the IP feature set which is what would include VLANS etc? Can IOS's be had anywhere else, or do they have to come from Cisco's site? Thanks a lot for the help.

Reply to
Dwayne

Oh yeah i almost forgot. I see that some of the routers/switches on Ebay say that they come preloaded with the IOS version of your choice. In that case what would I choose? Thanks

Reply to
Dwayne

The rules about CatOS used to be different, and I don't think they can change the rules retroactively on those prior releases. But IANAL and I did not study the CatOS licensing terms.

Or be prepared to pay the relicensing fee.

bradreese.com has links to some of the authorized dealers in refurbished Cisco equipment. I think I saw the complete list once on cisco.com but it would take some digging now.

I think you might need IP Plus for VLANs, but it's a nuisance to check the feature naviagator at the moment. Look at

formatting link

You can buy the relicensing from a number of vendors, who will take your money and email address and have Cisco send you the digital license.

Once you are relicensed, you can buy specific IOS versions from a number of vendors. If I recall correctly, you can buy platform- specific CDs that have all of the updates within the same minor release; e.g., the CD might have 12.3(1)T through 12.3(14)T4 for the 1600.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

"preloaded with the IOS version of your choice" is almost always code for "Does not come with a legal IOS release, and will not be supplied with a CD or other media format of IOS, but will contain whichever pirated IOS version you ask for."

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Carito,

This is the current promotion of Fully Licensed and SMARTnet Eligible with Warranties Same As New - Cisco Authorized Factory Refurbished ( List Pricing is for informational purposes only, call 877-549-2680 or

828-277-7272 for discounted price quotes ).

formatting link
To see all 2,639 line items of Fully Licensed and SMARTnet Eligible with Warranties Same As New - Cisco Authorized Factory Refurbished ( be patient as it downloads ).

formatting link
To View Cisco Software Relicensing For Used Cisco Units:

formatting link
You may also conveniently view all Cisco Equipment currently offered on eBay with this handy little guide:

formatting link
Furthermore, view Cisco Product Guides covering the last 8 years:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Leverage Your Cisco Network

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.