Cable Tracing

I have inherited a lan closet that we share with another group that has their own 4506. Needless to say it is a huge furball, and nothing is labeled, on either ours or their switch. Is there some easy way or tool to trace a patch cable from the switch to the patch panel, like tracing from the drop to the patch panel with a toner? Almost anything would be better than trying to manually trace the cable by hand.

TIA Lovejoy

Reply to
Lovejoy
Loading thread data ...

Unplug it and see who screams?

No, there's not any easy way.

You could make sure port link logging is turned on in the cisco switch, and unplug and plug things quickly in some order, and see what ports go up/down in the logs. If its super critical, then do it after hours.

That would be about the easiest way to determine it.

Afterall, the main cost for rewiring is something like 70-80% somebody's time, not materials.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

When I worked for a phone company we had a device that could inject a tone above hearing range and a receiver that could pick up the tone at the other end without any electrical connection.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Hi, on any windows devices you can install a little cdp app, cdp monitor version 3 now i think, run this on the windows boxes, then do a sh cdp nei on the switches and bobs yer uncle, also look at mac address table on switchports etc

i know how you feel, i inherited a whole data centre and the cabling was shocking, i would seriousley think about not just pulling cables and see who screams, there may be apps like neverfail or nomax running replication of exchange boxes etc and this would throw servers into a passive active flip, i speak from experience, one cable pull cost me a days work, travel to a secondary site to manually throw the traffic back to the primary box and nearly got my ass chewed off :)

hope this helps

andrew

Reply to
tweety

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.