To Have or Have Not - Cat5e cable

For the optimists: How much cable do you think I have left?

For the pessimists: How much cable do you think is missing?

Originally 1000 feet. CAT5e in a 14x14x8" box. There was no center spool. I need 690 feet.

formatting link
<rolling dice> c'mon baby... 7 and 11... which will leave me 21...

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz
Loading thread data ...

Look at the markings on the cable. There should be a 5 digit number printed at various intervals. Those a the position (length?) in feet. Scribble down the numbers you find near both ends of the cable, subtract the numbers, and you have the length if feet:

formatting link
"For example, if a cable is marked 46782 ft. at one end and 46908 ft. at the other end, 46,908 - 46,782 = 126, so we know the cable is about 126 ft. long"
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This has got to be the nerdiest answer to any "technical" <snork>

question ever asked.

Oh great, "0002FT" minus - "0652FT" <sigh>. Now I need 1,330 feet instead of 680. I'm worse off than before I asked the question, dammit!

<ahem>

Why don't they just tell you this on the box instead of this BS?

formatting link
<sigh> I sure as shit didn't know that. Thanks Jeff ;-)

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

I'm a nerd. What kind of answer did you expect?

Ummm... check your math or calculator.

652 ft minus 2 ft equals 650 ft.

The blank chart for you to mark the length on the box as you use up the cable. It's easier than fishing around the box looking for the markings. However, you sill need to do the math. I'm lazy and only mark the starting footage and do the arithmetic as needed.

Hint: Don't use copper clad aluminum wire (CCA or CCAW). It's cheaper but causes problems:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.