Using Cable Modem for LAN connection

Spend the $10-20 bucks and get a router with 4-port switch. Netgear or Linksys would be good choices at your local computer chain store sale. They're on sale every week somewhere.

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

The manual says it's OK to have a PC connected to each port. Worth a try to see if one PC can see the other.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Whether you have one computer or several, you should still use one of those firewall/router boxes. If you're running Windows, they're virtually mandatory.

Reply to
James Knott

No - not at the same time for internet access...unless you're paying for two tcpip addresses from your cable internet service.

Yes - if you want to use it as a hub with a dhcp server - and no internet access.

The idea behind the built in dhcp server is that - when it is working, AND IF you are paying for multiple tcpip addresses - the cable modem is connected to a hub, and all the computers see each other and use the internet from the wan supplied addresses.

If the wan is down, then the dhcp server gives all the pc's local private addresses on the same network so they can still see each other, even though they cannot get to the internet.

This was all implemented BEFORE SOHO routers were the norm. Also - there was not firewall at all!

It is a useless feature that is NEVER used.

Reply to
<riggor>

Try it and see if that actually works. Then see how practical it is. Every time you want to share files, you will need to disconnect from the internet...is that what you want?

Question - how do you share files between PCs, while both are connected to the internet at the same time?

Go get a NAT router which provides firewall like capabilities, share one TCP/IP address, DHCP server, a built in switch, better control and management, etc.

Reply to
<riggor>

You answered your own question, so I'll ask you one back. Why would you want to do this?

If both computers use the modem to connect to the Internet, and the intention is to keep them both connected, then a better idea would be to get a cheap router with a NAT firewall. Then you don't have to worry about whether your ISP is blocking your neighbors from browsing your shared resources as your LAN will be protected behind the NAT firewall. Also, if your ISP is charging for additional IP addresses, you'll only need to pay for a single public IP address.

If this is just a temporary thing to allow a one-time or infrequent transfer of files between the two machines, it would be simpler to use a crossover cable between the two NIC's, assuming both have NIC's. Or any hub, switch or router could also be used. If one machine doesn't have a NIC, you may be able to network directly over a USB connection, depending on the OS.

So as you already answered yourself, it'll work, but it may not be your best choice.

Reply to
Warren

I have Motorola SB5100E Cable Modem. Can I use USB port connecting to one PC and Ethernet port connecting to another PC for LAN between that 2 PC's? I can disconnect the Modem from WAN by Standby switch. Then the internal DHCP server assignes local IP numbers for PC's, such 192.168.100.11

Reply to
pawbrok

User "$Bill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

I know it, but my question is purely theoretic. Is that solution possible, when I use it ocasionaly?

Reply to
pawbrok

So, it isn't USELESS. When WAN is down, we can use that feature eg. for exchange files between 2 PC's, even when we have only one network card. USB port is in this case like 2nd external network interface and Cable modem is like a Hub.

pawbrok

User wrote in news:ff6dnVvNi snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
pawbrok

User wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Yes. It's just what I mean. If I would like to share files often and have internet connection at the same time, I will use external router with ethernet switch.

Thank you.

Greethings pawbrok

Reply to
pawbrok

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.