another LAN monitoring question

Hello, everyone. I have noticed that this group gets a lot of requests like the one I'm about to make, but I'm having trouble understanding a lot of it. I would appreciate some help or advice.

Basically, I would like to to monitor our small LAN and be able to tell who is uploading big files via FTP, HTTP, email, etc.

Is there a simple utility that can help me do this? I currently use LinkLogger to monitor traffic requests, which is great because I can tell that 192.168.1.203 does 85% of the web surfing. However, I can't tell if 192.168.1.183 spends all day uploading a few hundred MB of data to an FTP site, because LinkLogger doesn't monitor volume (I don't think). PRTG is another great program I use to monitor internet bandwidth usage. I can definitely see when someone is sending something big, but it doesn't tell me who.

We have a single DSL modem, a LinkSys VPN router, and about 30 devices behind that on a few unmanaged switches.

Thanks for reading to the end. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Joseph

Reply to
Joseph O'Brien
Loading thread data ...

In article , Joseph O'Brien wrote: :Basically, I would like to to monitor our small LAN and be able to tell :who is uploading big files via FTP, HTTP, email, etc.

:We have a single DSL modem, a LinkSys VPN router, and about 30 devices :behind that on a few unmanaged switches.

For monitoring consumer devices, espcially LinkSys, try WallWatcher .

Note: I've been having a bit of trouble with WallWatcher from time to time: the monitoring part of it keeps running but the UI quits. When I then try to restart the UI, it complains the program is already running... I have found that sometimes when this happens, I have to remove the old install directory and reinstall.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walt, Regarding the UI problem: Are you running the current version of WallWatcher (3.2.22, since early June, 2005)? If so, could you contact me directly with some of the details (please use the address on WW's Help screen, not the unmonitored newsgroup address). Thanks,

Reply to
newsgroups

Thanks for your reply. I ended up bypassing technology on this one and just asked everyone in our organization to send me an email before uploading a file. Worked like a charm. I was able to confirm my suspicion that someone somewhere was doing a lot of uploading (thus hampering our download speed). Imagine that!

Thanks anyway for your reply. I will keep WallWatcher in mind for future projects.

Joseph

Walter Robers> > :Basically, I would like to to monitor our small LAN and be able to tell

Reply to
Joseph O'Brien

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.