bridging SNA 3550 2950

Dear all,

I'm trying to configure a bridge for non-routed protocols between two VLANs (bridge is to be used by SNA), but up to now I've failed. I read a lot of docs, but still can't figure it out.

Consider the following topology:

Client --- 2950 --- 3550 --- Mainframe

The client is on VLAN 2 while Mainframe is on VLAN 1. The VLANs are on different IP segments, so we are routing between the VLANs (using the 3550). Using TCP/IP, everything works fine but SNA doesn't go through.

I planned on creating a bridge, puting VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 on the same bridge group.

In the 3550, I issued: (config)# bridge 1 protocol vlan-bridge (config)# int vlan 1 (config-if)# bridge-group 1 (config-if)# exit (config)# int vlan 2 (config-if)# bridge-group 1

Looked simple...but those commands don't exist in the 2950, and so I'm not even sure now that this config was the good one to be done.

Any hint ? There are a lot of very complex docs out there, but I just want to do a simple bridge for non-routed protocols.

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
Sebastien Mazeau
Loading thread data ...

I am pretty sure that the 2950 doesn't do this.

Software bridging is a function carried out by traditional Cisco routers. The "routing" switches do it to some extent too.

The 2950 has no "routing" fucntionality at all.

Check the 2950 "Command Reference".

formatting link

Reply to
anybody43

I would have thought that switches are more concerned with bridging than routers, as bridging is layer 2...damn.

Thanks for your answer.

Sebastien

formatting link

Reply to
Sebastien Mazeau

Hi Sebastion,

Just a guess here, but for the 2950 the VLAN is a Layer 2 entity only, it has no layer 3 properties, so you would need to BRIDGE, not Route between the 2 switches to get traffic there, because the 2950 doesn't have routing capability.

We use DLSW to Route SNA traffic, but DLSW operates at Layer3 and is not available on 2950's.

A VLAN is "local" only to each switch, so the gap bewteen the 2 Switches needs to be bridged as well to get the Layer 2 stuff between them without using Layer 3. Withot destroying the Layer 3 environment, if you have 2 ports free at each end, PLUS a spre link available (I hope they are the same cabinet........;-)) you could bridge everything for those ports........;-)

Cheers..............pk.

Reply to
Peter

As a follow-up, I tried the exact same thing using two 3550s, and it worked like a charm, I didn't even have to enter any additional command.

Sebastien

Reply to
Sebastien Mazeau

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.