Confused - VLANs, 3550 and 2950 switches

New to VLANs and am trying to configure a 3550 with another VLAN. Our current setup is a 192.168.50.0/24 network. We want to add a

192.168.51.0/24 network and route between the two. We have a PIX as our default gateway...which is connected to the 3550. Also off the 3550 we have a few 2950 switches. I followed the config here..
formatting link
and can ping the PIX, the new VLAN address on the 3550 and also the old VLAN address. My issue is I can't ping the 2950s or anything off of them...seems like no internal routing is being done and I don't know where to go from here. Again, very new to this (thrown in a network position) so any pointers would be very helpful.
Reply to
The Other Mike
Loading thread data ...

Replying to my own post....it seems that if I set the default gateway to the 3550 instead of the PIX that everything's working. Before I go changing anything in production, does that seem like all that would need to be done? Anything to watch out for?

Reply to
The Other Mike

If you are trying to route to the 2950 via the Pix (as the default gw) then this won't work. The Pix isn't a router.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

The PIX can do basic static routing if you want, but if you're going to create SVIs on your L3 switches, it usually makes more sense to use that as your default gateway. Then perform all routing on the 3550s.

Phillip

chris wrote:

Reply to
pcmccollum

Hi,

What you can do is follow following senerio best one to follow:

INERNET | Router/PIX | 3550 | 2950

All the vlan traffic on 2950 should be routed to 3550/ All Intervlan traffic is handled by 3550 and then All Internet traffic is routed to PIX/Router for ISp etc.

CK

Reply to
CK

Looks good thanks. Everything seems to be working...just found the IP helper-address command too so DHCP seems good to go as well. Thanks.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.