Big problem: Bstun async and TCP IP frame size

hi all,

I am trying to configure two Cisco 2811 connected between them via LAN and two PCs with Hiperterminal at both extremes (Serial interfaces configured at 19200 bps).

PC1 (Hyperterminal)--------{Serial}--------Cisco

2811--------{LAN}--------Cisco 2811------{Serial}------PC2

I have configured BSTUN encapsulation and async-generic protocol in both routers and it works fine as long as you send characters. I route all the traffic via tcp from PC1 to PC2 and viceversa.

The problem is that I try to send a file using Zmodem and the performance is horrible. As I cannot set a size of frame when the router encapsulates the bytes received through the serial interface. As there is no start-of-frame and end-of-frame characters, I must configure the "asp rx-ift" parameter properly. With a value configured of 40 ms, the maximum PDU size of the frames I can get is 111 bytes.

What I would like to do is to configure the router so that it encapsulates a new TCP/IP frame when a number of bytes collected from the serial interface has been reached. Is there a way or command to set the maximum size of a bstun packet? I have tried "ip mtu" command, but it hasn't had any effect at all. Any idea?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Victor

Reply to
vhuertas
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com skrev:

I have no idea how to do what you ask.

Not entirely sure what you need but maybe these suggestions can help?

formatting link

-SAto

Reply to
SAto

First of all, thank you very much for your quick answer

SAto ha escrito:

Imagine the scenario I described before. What I want to do is to map every byte received at the Serial0/0/0 of the first router Cisco 2811 to the Serial0/0/0 interface of the second router Cisco 2811.

This can be done thanks to BSTUN tunnels. As there is no local-acknowledge protocol in the interface Serial0/0/0 (in order words, I am receiving a constant byte flow which I must forward to the other router) I have no more option than configuring the protocol "Async-generic". So there is neither address byte nor start-of-frame byte. As I have said before, the only thing I have is a incoming bytes flow entering the router through the Serial0/0/0.

So the router is in charge of collecting these bytes, encapsulate them in a BSTUN TCP/IP packet and send this packet to the other peer, where it will be deencpasulated and the data bytes will be forwarded to the Serial0/0/0 interface of the second router.

the problem I have is that I haven't found out if there is a parameter that controls the number of data bytes encapsulated in each BSTUN TCP/IP packet. I would like to set it to 1000 bytes or so.

Thanks, but I am afraid that it doesn't solve my problem... but thanks for the link!!

Reply to
vhuertas

Victor,

I think you'd be better off switching from using BSTUN async and going to stream TCP tunneling instead:

formatting link
Try it with default settings; if you still feel the need to tune, here are some line knobs that you can wiggle:

buffer-length ip tcp input-coalesce-threshold dispatch-timeout

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Aaron Leonard ha escrito:

Thank you Aaron for your contribution!!

But After reading the article, it gives the impression that some kind of local acknowledge or call control mechanism through the RS-232 line is performed by means of sending "CR" and "LF" characters. I am using Hyperterminal because it is the easiest and quickest way to simulate the real device who will send this byte flow through the RS-232 link to the router. This device doesn't admit any connection control character at all.

Moreover, it strikes to me that this approach is more suitable for a scenario where one of the routers generates more traffic in one direction than in the other. However, in the scenario I have to test, both directions are equally loaded.

One more question: the aim of the configuration of these two routers is mapping several async interfaces in one router with the same number of async interfaces in the final router:

Serial0/0 (Router 1) Serial0/0 (Router 2) Serial0/1 (Router 1) Serial0/1 (Router 2) Serial0/2 (Router 1) Serial0/2 (Router 2)

and so on.

I don't see any identifier number similar to "bstun group" parameter in order to perform this mapping. Am I wrong?

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply!!

Reply to
vhuertas

~ ~ Aaron Leonard ha escrito: ~ ~ > Victor, ~ >

~ > I think you'd be better off switching from using BSTUN async and going ~ > to stream TCP tunneling instead:

formatting link
>

~ ~ Thank you Aaron for your contribution!! ~ ~ But After reading the article, it gives the impression that some kind ~ of local acknowledge or call control mechanism through the RS-232 line ~ is performed by means of sending "CR" and "LF" characters.

Not necessarily. "stream TCP" is just raw TCP, with no EOL convention.

~ I am using ~ Hyperterminal because it is the easiest and quickest way to simulate ~ the real device who will send this byte flow through the RS-232 link to ~ the router. This device doesn't admit any connection control character ~ at all. ~ ~ Moreover, it strikes to me that this approach is more suitable for a ~ scenario where one of the routers generates more traffic in one ~ direction than in the other. However, in the scenario I have to test, ~ both directions are equally loaded.

Raw TCP is perfectly capable of handling full duplex traffic.

~ One more question: the aim of the configuration of these two routers is ~ mapping several async interfaces in one router with the same number of ~ async interfaces in the final router: ~ ~ Serial0/0 (Router 1) Serial0/0 (Router 2) ~ Serial0/1 (Router 1) Serial0/1 (Router 2) ~ Serial0/2 (Router 1) Serial0/2 (Router 2) ~ ~ and so on. ~ ~ I don't see any identifier number similar to "bstun group" parameter in ~ order to perform this mapping. Am I wrong?

On the "calling side" line, target the desired "called side" by connecting to the TCP port 4000 + line number.

Best regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.