Ethernet Frame size

You're on the right path. Any text that discusses ethernet in detail will provide the answer.

Please remember. It's your homework. You're supposed to find the answer yourself.

Reply to
James Knott
Loading thread data ...

My professor, in a exercice sheet, asked me why a Ethernet Size is at least 64 bytes. I've already downloaded a lot of material about this matter, but I can't find a reasonable explanation for that. I think the problem is the Collision Detection protocol, but I'm not sure and I can't prove it if he asks me. Could you help me please?

Bye

Sebastiano

Reply to
Sebastiano

We don't do homework around here, but seeing as you've made some effort, I'll give you some hints to explore further:

Yes, min size has to do with collision detection.

For many years, ethernet was on a long shared coax cable (now it is more often star-wired). Two stations could start transmitting at the same time, and it is important that all stations (especially the two transmitters) could detect the collision.

Ciao,

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

In article , Sebastiano wrote: :My professor, in a exercice sheet, asked me why a Ethernet Size is at :least 64 bytes. I've already downloaded a lot of material about this :matter, but I can't find a reasonable explanation for that.

What is the relationship between time, distance, and bits?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.