TCP/IP fingerprinting

Hi, I understand that certain parameters within TCP protocol definition are set to different default values by different operating systems and this inturn is used for TCP/IP fingerprinting. But, Is there a TCP/IP fingerprint database that tells the relation between the various TCP protocol fields and the corresponding values that might determine the type of Operating System ?

Which is the best fingerprinting tool and how far is fingerprinting helpful in safeguarding against attacks ?

I searched the internet, i got only fingerprint submission pages, but did not get a database. Any ideas ?

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru
Loading thread data ...

nmap with the -O switch does very well, and is likely the most used with the biggest fingerprint database.

But if there aren't many services responding, take the results with a grain of salt.

Reply to
Regis

Thx for the inputs.

Okay !

I came across IceScan, an open source tool (GPL licenced) and a list of tools in the below link also -

formatting link
But, i think just as you told, nmap seems to be excellent !!

formatting link
-> It is indeed very big.

Thx, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

it is the best of its breed

Reply to
goarilla

I am working with same topic.if you can help me in this please reply.

Reply to
zeni

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.