BGP and MRTG

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to get a graph for "sh ip bgp sum" routes into mrtg. Any sugestion how?

Regards Jan Rockstedt

Reply to
jan.rockstedt
Loading thread data ...

Depending on IOS version, you may be able use SNMP to get those parts of "sh ip bgp sum" output that you need. In particular, look at cbgpPeerAcceptedPrefixes[1] and similar objects in CISCO-BGP4-MIB.

IETF plug:

The current IETF BGP-4 MIB (RFC 4273, formerly known as RFC 1657) doesn't contain any similar metrics. The IETF idr (inter-domain routing) Working Group is in the process of defining a new version of the MIB ("bgp4-mibv2"). It would be very helpful if operators could say what kinds of counters they would find how useful. Ideally on the idr mailing list, see [2], but if you're too lazy to subscribe there, I'll channel any discussion that happens here. The current state of the BGP-4 MIBv2 effort can be found in [3].

Reply to
Simon Leinen

Thanks for the reply.

Our routers have this ios:

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

bgp-router uptime is 1 week, 1 day, 7 hours, 17 minutes System returned to ROM by reload at 08:33:22 UTC Wed May 16 2007 System image file is "flash:c3825-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.XJ.bin"

I wan't to have State/PfxRcd into MRTG. Any sugestion for a conf or script?

Regards Jan Rockstedt

Reply to
jan.rockstedt

That should have all the MIBs you need...

Sorry, nothing directly cut&pasteable. Basically, for a peer with the IPv4 address AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD, you can ask MRTG to plot the following OID in "gauge" mode:

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.187.1.2.4.1.1.1.1.AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD (cbgpPeerAcceptedPrefixes.ipv4.unicast.AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD)

That should show you the number of (IPv4 unicast) routes that your BGP router has accepted.

MRTG always likes plotting two values, but I cannot think of a commensurate second value, except maybe the prefix limit ("maximum-prefix") if you have those configured. The OID would be

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.187.1.2.4.1.3.1.1.AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD (cbgpPeerPrefixAdminLimit.ipv4.unicast.AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD)

Hope that helps,

Reply to
Simon Leinen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.