Autonomous System in BGP

Hi all, I am new to this group. I am studying CCNA and i have a doubt. I like to know what is the use of 'Autonomous System" in BGP and how it will work with this number?

Thanks in advance for all ur help.

Best Regards, Bas

Reply to
abbas.s
Loading thread data ...

On 19.04.2005 11:51 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

From

formatting link
Q. What is an autonomous system number and how do I obtain one?

A. AS numbers are globally unique numbers that are used to identify ASes, and which enable an AS to exchange exterior routing information between neighboring ASes. An AS is a connected group of IP networks that adhere to a single and clearly defined routing policy.

There are a limited number of available AS numbers. Therefore, it is important to determine which sites require unique AS numbers and which do not. Sites that do not require a unique AS number should use one or more of the AS numbers reserved for private use, which are in the range from 64512 to 65535. Access the AS Number Registration Services leavingcisco.com Website to obtain an AS number.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Thanks for ur help Arnold

Regards, //Bas

Reply to
abbas.s

The concept of an AS in BGP is kind of analogous to an area in OSPF.

Reply to
Brad

On 19.04.2005 17:53 Brad wrote

Not really, imho. You both may have a Stub area and a Stub AS, but what is the analogon to area 0?

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

The analogy is that within an area a specific routing policy is used same as within an AS. When an area advertises routes they can be summarized same as an AS.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Brad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.