ASA 5510 Software Upgrade

Hi All,

I have an ASA 5510 to upgrade from 7.0(2) to 7.0(5).

I have searched cisco's site for some time now, but cant find any documentation on this upgrade. I can find plenty of documentation for going from a version 6 to 7.x but nothing for version 7 to 7.

I have had a look, and it looks like all I need to do is upload the new image to the device, set it to boot from that image and re-boot. Is this correct?

I remember on the PIX Version 6.x you had to note down some serial numbers and other details, so that you could re-add that information later on, is there anything like that you need to do between version

7's??

If any one has any info, or even a link to some doco's on cisco's site that i missed, that would be great.

Thanks.

-Hurgh-

Reply to
hurgh1
Loading thread data ...

Pretty much. But I'd take a copy of the configuration first, and then another copy after the reboot and compare the two, as there may be some subtle differences (e.g., when new fixups are introduced.)

That was never necessary in PIX 6.x. The last time anything similar to that was necessary was around PIX 5.1(1), in that going to 5.1(2) or later required a new license key.

The closest to that was that prior to PIX 6.2, if you wanted to upgrade your activation key (e.g., for 3DES) then you had to reinstall the OS and then enter the new key as the very last step. PIX 6.2 added the "activation-key" command to allow you to change the key without installing new software.

As best I recall, in all of PIX 5 (and PIX 6), after installing an upgrade, when you were prompted for the activation key, you could just press return to keep the old one. I'm relatively certain that was true from 5.1(3) or earlier.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks Walter, that is really all I needed to know. I didnt want to go into this upgrade thinking that I knew what I was doing without being sure.

Reply to
Hurgh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.