Wireless IOS upgrade on 881W

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can point me to a document detailing how to upgrade the IOS of the Integrated wireless AP in a Cisco 881W please?

cisco.com seems very sparse on the subject of the 880 series.

Reply to
Clive Carmock
Loading thread data ...

Clive Carmock ha detto questo giovedì :

you can use the software Cisco Configuration Assistant: it can upgrade your 881W in a few clicks.

Otherwise from CLI:

#dir (and look at what files you have in your flash). #delete flash:/the-name-of-old-IOS-discovered-with-dir-command #copy tftp flash

that's all. Obviously you need a TFTP server activ on your local machine (you can find many freeware small tftp server) and put in root dir of tftp ONLY the ios you want to copy onto router.

If it doesn't work, you can also do the same operation with an FTP server with the command #copy ftp://10.10.10.5/name-of-your-new-ios-on-ftp-server (use the right ip address instead of the one in the example).

Reply to
Galerio

In message , Galerio writes

OK - the main IOS was straightforward in fact can be copied from USB flash. However the integrated AP - do I load the file as it is on cisco.com ie in tar format?

Reply to
Clive Carmock

I have no 88x experience but Cisco do try to be consistent across platforms.

Normally you use the archive upgrade command for tar files.

The software may be stored on the wireless module or possibly on the main flash. Have a look.

There is a command to connect to the wireless module console.

service-module wlan-ap 0 session

See:-

formatting link
I would imagine that from there you might be able to do the upgrade. Check for a flash and see whats on it.

sh flash

**NOTE**

Closing the Session To close the session between the wireless device and the router's console, perform both of the following steps.

Wireless Device

1. Control-Shift-6 x [that's Control and Shift held down, press and release "6", release all keys, then press "x"] - obviously :-)

Router

1. disconnect [ that's - issue the disconnect command] - obviously :)
  2. Press Enter twice.

One thing to be concerned about is that I noticed references to software activation. This has previousy been absent on cisco routers so it is possible that you could get into trouble with that.

As you say, documentation seems sparse.

Usually the tar package contains the image and the web based mananement tools.

Looks like the wirelss module needs its own IP address.

Check the boot path too. sh boot

There are instructions in the above referenced document on converting from "autonomous AP mode" to "Unified Access Point mode". The former is a normal AP and the latter gets its image and configuration from a certralised Wireless LAN Controller.

It all seems quite complex and there seems a decent chance of breaking the device without the correct instructions.

Hope the above makes at least some sense.

Reply to
bod43
[ apologies in advance for top-posting ]

The info below is on the right track - use the "archive download" command to load the tarball into the AP801's flash. E.g.

ap#archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://10.2.3.4/blahblah.tar

assuming that 10.2.3.4 is a TFTP server with which the AP801 has IP connectivity.

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Hi Clive,

I know its being a while since you asked your question but I have same problem with 881w AP I am struggling to upgrade my AP IOS so I was wandering if you managed to upgrade yours and if so would mind helping me please, Thanks a lot Andrey

Reply to
Andrey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.