ASA 5510 restarts itself several times a day

ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a day. Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?

It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause. I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this. It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.

The software version is: Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3) Device Manager Version 5.2(3)

CPU and memory usage are also within normal.

It is a standalone unit (not configured in failover).

Reply to
Morph
Loading thread data ...

You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

Reply to
Merv

| On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph wrote: | > ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a | > day. | > Does anyone have an idea what might cause this? | >

| > It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause. | > I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this. | > It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed. | >

| > The software version is: | > Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3) | | | You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

Do you prefer version 7.2.4 over 8.X. To refrase the question if we upgrade the software is there any particular reason not to upgrade to

8.X version? Thank you for your time.
Reply to
Morph

Could be as simple as a loose power connector. The older PIX 501 and 506/506E were prone to such problems.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

| You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

Do you prefer version 7.2.4 over 8.X. To refrase the question if we upgrade the software is there any particular reason not to upgrade to

8.X version?

Remember the numbering convention conveys whether the release is a major change or a minor change

Also keep in mind that lots of new features typically means lots of new bugs.

Do you need features that are in 8.x ; you should consider this question carefully.

Think about the impact if you have to back out the release 7.2.4 or

8.x - it happens - I have had to do it more times than I care to think about

Get the release notes for which ever target images you are considering and go over them very carefully - looks at what has been resolved and what caveats are still open.

And as Walters has pointed out check the power cords, etc

Reply to
Merv

| On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph wrote: | > ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a | > day. | > Does anyone have an idea what might cause this? | >

| > It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause. | > I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this. | > It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed. | >

| > The software version is: | > Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3) | | | You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

Installed 7.2.4 and that seems to have fixed the problem. The ASA stoped rebooting itself and everything seems to be normal. Thanx everyone for taking the time to respond.

Reply to
Morph

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.