ADSL WIC support - which NM's, and which IOS versions?

Hi everyone,

I've acquired an ADSL WIC to use but need to upgrade the IOS on my Cisco

3620 router (currently running 12.2.3 with IO3 feature set). A few people have told me that the ADSL WIC's only work in certain NM's. I have a NM-2E2W in the router and that already has a single-BRI WIC in one of the WIC slots.

Does anyone know with certainty what version(s) and feature set(s) of IOS support ADSL WIC's and which network modules those WIC's are supported in?

Thanks,

Craig.

PS. I have an image of c3620-is-mz.123-6a.bin here which I plan to load into flash on the router and try out with the ADSL card today.

Reply to
Kralizec Craig
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

The only modules I know that will work is the NM1FE2W or the NM2FE2W for sure. It will not work with your NM2E2W. As for the IOS it should work fine with 123-6a.bin, just dont use the latest 123-16.bin because Cisco have broke something which stops the ADSL WIC working. :)

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Matty M

Ah ok thanks Matt. A few other people emailed me saying the same thing regarding which NM's the ADSL WIC can work in. The NM-1FE2W and NM-2FE2W are several orders of magnitude higher in cost that the NM-1E2W and NM-2E2W so I'll need to look around to see how that fits into the budget. 8-)

Re the IOS version, thanks. I've noticed Cisco are release IOS 12.4 variations now but I imagine most people are still using 12.2 or 12.3 versions in their 36xx units.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Kralizec Craig

FWIW c2800nm-ipbase-mz.123-8.T5.bin works fine with 2800's

Also 12.2 works great with 3640's and NM-2FE-2W's

Using the cisco tools and assuming a 3640 with 1 x NM-1E2W and a WIC-1T and an IP feature set they suggest only one IOS so the choice is simple. C3640-I-MZ.111-7.AA which needs 17MB DRAM and 4MB Flash

Gary

formatting link

Reply to
Gary

I just added that release into my hardware config and the configurator says there is a problem with the mix, so even though cisco say it will work they also say it will not. Take care if you upgrade to this version regardless of maintenance release you select.

Might be best to go 2800 or add a NM-1FE-2W

Reply to
Gary

Ok thanks - looks like I might abandon using the WIC-1ADSL given the ludicrous pricing of NM-2FE2W's and use a standalone ADSL router (perhaps a Cisco 827 - maybe something else) hooked to the second ethernet port of the NM-2E2W I've got installed in the 3620 now.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.