does the ADSL WIC do symetric 512/512 layer-2 DSL?

Hi everyone,

I'm weighing options for hardware to go with a layer-2 512/512 symetric DSL service that I will be getting soon to finally upgrade from a 128 kbps ISDN.

I've been pointed to an Australian DSL modem that is preferred by the company offering the service, but I'm keen to look at options including using a spare ADSL WIC card I acquired some time back with a Cisco 17xx series router instead of using a seperate DSL modem.

So this leads to my question of whether the ADSL WIC can support symetric

512/512 layer-2 DSL? 8-)

If not then I'll go with the seperate modem/router option. At present the router is a 1603 so of course it can't work with the ADSL WIC.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Craig.

Reply to
Kralizec Craig
Loading thread data ...

DSL is a group of technologies, and SHDSL has different standards from ADSL. Not 100% sure if it is impossible, but I would put money on it not being supported

Reply to
Uncle Bully

That depends on which DSL standard you're using (and you haven't identified). ADSL can support 512/512kbps symmetric SHDSL can support 512/512kbps symmetric SDSL can support 512/512kbps symmetric

So which standard is the service you are referring to????

Please provide a link to describe the service or contact your ISP.

If it's ADSL then YES, the ADSL WIC will work. If it's SHDSL then NO, you'll need to get an SHDSL WIC.

Reply to
Kubalister

Thanks for that. I'm suspecting the same and will try to track down some definitive info on Cisco's site. Just though someone here may already know for sure.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Kralizec Craig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.