871 and Static PPPoE

Hi,

I've been trying to get an 871 to work with Static PPPoE. Does it even support this?

I've tried to configure the PPPoE with static IP, however, the isp is assigning a 255.255.255.255 subnet mask which the 871 will not accept. I've hooked up several other routers to this and they all work fine.

Any suggestions?

thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken
Loading thread data ...

Try to set up a loopback with the IP assigned (say loopback 10) and to put in the dialer section IP unnumbered interface loopback .

Loopback interfaces do accept 32 bits mask.

Let us know!

Alex.

Reply to
AM

thanks I will give that a shot.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

This looks like the best idea.

Another idea is to lie about the mask - I ran into this a while back when as a troubleshooting aid I had put static IP addresses on a dialer under instruction from the ISP even though it was doing PPP IPCP.

I later did a remote IOS upgrade and -poof router she is dead - since the ip address with /32 mask was not accepted by the new software version. (837, maybe 12.2xyz - 12.3)

The point is that I "fixed" it just by putting in a /30 mask since on a dialer we almost never want to talk to the affected addresses anyway. This installation though was not pppoe but was pppoa.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.