Upgrading Cisco IOS on C2916M-XL.

Hi Folks, I have recently bought the above-mentioned switch from ebay and I am upgrading the the Cisco IOS image on it to c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.11-SA6. I have already uploaded the .bin file and the switch is currently running the new Cisco IOS. However, I also need to run run tar /x tftp://server_ip_address//path/filename.tar flash:html to load the html pages on to the switch. I have installed TFTP Server on a PC and put the c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.11-SA6.tar there. I then run the tftp command above on the switch. However, I am getting the error message unenable to find file or directory. Can anybody help me?

Desperate, Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark
Loading thread data ...

Hi Benchmark,

Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL switches normally load a valid image present in Flash memory.

If a message indicating an error loading flash is displayed during system bootup, or the switch is reloading continuously, it indicates the software image present in the Flash is corrupt, missing, or the boot variable in the configuration file is not set correctly.

The method used to recover the switch depends on whether a bootable image is present in the Flash.

A filename with the extension .bin specifies a bootable image in Flash.

To resolve this issue, perform these steps:

Step 1: To determine whether there are any image files in Flash, issue the dir flash: command.

Step 2: If a valid image is present, you can manually boot the switch from the image by issuing the boot flash: command.

Step 3: If there is no valid image present, load an image into the switch by using the X-modem procedure.

Recovery From Corrupt or Missing Software Image on Cisco Catalyst

2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco eBay Repair Service

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hi Again Benchmark,

You may wish to investigate:

Upgrading Software in Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Switches Using the Command Line Interface

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco Technical Forums

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.