7206 port adapters hot - swappable ??

documentation doesn't say so, but, i've been told they are. would like to know before attempting. thanks

Reply to
lfnetworking
Loading thread data ...

"docmentation doesn't say so" - well don't then. Cisco docs are very rarely wrong. Especially about something like that.

They are though [hot swappable] so clearly you haven't looked very much.

e.g. Search of

formatting link
for [pa hot swap] - top hit says: PA-A3 is hot swappable on Cisco 7200 routers

I suggest that you check the docs for your particular PA and 7200 model.

HINT - search with the part number.

This though is not something that I would plan to do in production. I have done a bit of lab work and I have seen a few reboots on a hot swap. This was mostly on various Catalysts but I think that I have seen reloads on 7500s too.

If you REALLY have to, shut down the interfaces on the PA first, stick your fingers in your ears and if possible get someone else to do the dirty deed:) Take care to insert and remove cleanly, i.e don't leave it half in and half out of the connector while you go for a cup of tea. Plan for it going horribly wrong. Well, a reload anyway.

If you have never inserted a PA into a 7200 before, maybe this is not the best one to practise with. They do go in OK but it is not exactly as easy as changing a light bulb.

Reply to
anybody43
  • lfnetworking :

Yes, 7200 PAs are fully hot-swappable. I know of no exception to that.

Best regards, Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Roesen

You may wish to investigate the 7200 Port Adapter Roadmap:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Resource Center Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

I've only had a 7206 crash once or twice doing an online insertion :/

Something can always go wrong, but they are pretty stable boxes otherwise, and otherwise I have done dozens of online insertions of PA cards.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.