Newbie alert!. How can I restrict bandwidth between to SQL servers

Hi I have two SQL2000 servers in different sites, once a day approximately

1M of data in the form of a large update is required to be transfered between the 2. We have use of a 2M pipe between the servers but there is no quality of service, the other users on the pipe are traders so there must be no interruption in the quality of their bandwidth at any time.

Is there any way of throttling back the data transfer between the two servers to restrict its bandwidth use. Obviously we want to retain the

max bandwidth on our local network. The pipe is administered by a seperate company so we do not have admin access to their gateways, routers etc.. so a solution which we can implement on our database servers would be the easiest. I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this but any information would be great

Thanks Mark

Reply to
mark.pearson
Loading thread data ...

Mark, If we're talking SQL replication here then there's no way to throttle it on the server. Really you should be talking to your network provider about QOS! Anyway, your only other option would be to purchase a bandwidth management tool - like a Packeteer - and stick that between your LAN and you wan routers. You could then prioritise traffic with that. You'd two - one at each end of the WAN link. > I have two SQL2000 servers in different sites, once a day approximately

Neil Pike Protech Computing Ltd

Reply to
Neil Pike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.