6500 Software for redundant sup32 setup

I see Modular and non-modular images.

Looking at this doc I'd like to confirm if it is referring to the same "modular" and if in fact modular is the recommended flavor for the redundant sup setup.

formatting link
IP SERVICES (MODULAR) IP BASE SSH LAN ONLY ENTERPRISE SERVICES SSH (MODULAR) IP SERVICES IP BASE LAN ONLY (MODULAR) ADVANCED ENT SERVICES SSH (MODULAR) IP BASE SSH (MODULAR) IP BASE SSH IP BASE LAN ONLY ADVANCED IP SERVICES SSH (MODULAR) IP SERVICES SSH IP BASE ADVANCED IP SERVICES SSH FIELD PROGRAMMABLE DEVICE IMAGE IP BASE (MODULAR) ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES SSH IP SERVICES SSH (MODULAR) BOOT IMAGE ENTERPRISE SERVICES SSH IP BASE SSH LAN ONLY (MODULAR) 1.html

Reply to
linguafr
Loading thread data ...

The primary benefit of "modular software" is an ability to upgrade software while switch is in service. You may upgrade the software on the switch without rebooting the switch, because each module has it's own piece of software loaded, and if it is compatible with an existing software on the controller, it will stay up while one of the controllers rebooting. As an opposite, when you upgrade "non-modular" software, after you switch control to upgraded controller, the line card software has to be loaded again and module reboots.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE Voice (in progress), CCIE R&S (next)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

The default mode of operation for modular software is "non-modular", in which it operates EXACTLY like non-modular builds. To operate in modular mode you must use the "install" command on the image to use the 'modular' functions.

formatting link
>

Reply to
Thrill5

Here is on url for Cisoc IOS modular software installation. You will also here the phrase In Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) - same thing.

Cisco IOS Software Modularity Installation and Configuration Guide

formatting link

This is the way software installation is done on IOS XR based platforms like the CRS-1 and it works quite well.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.