3750G and RPS

I have 3 3750-24TS-E and 2 3750G-24TS-E switches in a stack, each connected to their own RPS (RPS 675).

If power fails to each of the 5 switches in the stack, the individual RPSs kick-in and the indicator lights on the RPS show that back-up power is applied.

Great.

Now, when restore AC power to the switches the two different switch types respond differently. With the 3750 (non-Gig) switches I can take each RPS offline and then put them back online and the indicators go to green, indicating the 3750 switches are powered on their own. This happens without a reboot.

The 3750G switches, however, exhibit a different behavior; when I take the RPS offline after restoring AC power to the switches, as soon as I bring the RPS online the 3750G switch will reboot.

Does anyone know a way to restore AC to the 3750G switches and to reset the RPS 675 to indicate the switch is on AC power WITHOUT forcing a reboot of the affected switch?

Shouldn't the failback process be as glitch-free as the failover process? It's great that the RPS kicks-in and provides power, but having to reboot the switch to bring it back onto AC is an annoyance, since these switches are in a mission-critical workflow moving large quantities of uncompressed video. Not crippling, but still not an optimal situation. :)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Reply to
TGPO
Loading thread data ...

That is a normal situation. Note The RPS 675 is designed to provide backup for internal power supply failures of connected device power supplies. It is not designed to act as a backup power source that protects against losses of power due to external power outages. Cisco recommend using an uninterruptable power system (UPS) as protection against power outages

Reply to
David Knechtenhofer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.