2610XM routers and VPN

I have a network primarily made up of 2610XM routers using frame relay to connect to our core routers (7507's) at coporate headquarters. I am thinking of implementing a VPN failover scenario on the 2610's in the event of an outage on the frame relay link. Each 2610 only has a WIC-1T card in slot 0 - slot 1 is empty. Can anybody provide recommendations of the necessary hardware required on the 2610's to establish a point-to-point VPN tunnel? The VPN peer at the other end of the tunnel would be a PIX. I am just trying to get recommendations for the required hardware on the 2610's. Thanks!

Reply to
jeff.suchomel
Loading thread data ...

If you are planning on using another T1 for the backup point-to-point connection, you can use another WIC-1T card. I would recommend getting the second line from a different provider, though, so outage on one provider's network doesn't take you down all the way. Also, check the IOS version to ensure it supports VPN. HTH.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

In article , Robert wrote: :If you are planning on using another T1 for the backup point-to-point :connection, you can use another WIC-1T card. I would recommend getting :the second line from a different provider, though, so outage on one :provider's network doesn't take you down all the way.

Providers aggregate T1s with other providers, or resell wholesale T1s. You must be careful that you do not end up with two T1s going through the same [hidden] provider.

I have heard that many providers won't talk about these kinds of details. I seem to recall that one person who posted here several months ago had gathered a bunch of relevant information, but unfortunately I do not recall who... and I can't seem to find the right keywords to find th emessage via google.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks for the info. What I had in mind for the point-to-point VPN was (probably) a DSL line. Do you know if another WIC-1T would work for that? Also, do you know anything about VPN encryption modules (ie. AIM-VPN)?

Thanks!

Reply to
jeff.suchomel

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that. I'll keep that in mind.

Reply to
jeff.suchomel

In article , snipped-for-privacy@laquinta.com wrote: :What I had in mind for the point-to-point VPN was :(probably) a DSL line. Do you know if another WIC-1T would work for :that?

No, in the sense that the WIC-1T interface is not able to handle DSL signals. Yes in the sense that if you did have a DSL interface as well as the WIC-1T, you should be able to come up with some kind of failover. (But failover is harder than you might think -- see Vincent C. Jones' web site.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.