2503I and analog modem dialup

Hello,

does an old router 2503I with an ISDN-BRI-interface support the dial-in via an analog modem over the BRI interface? It has an "incoming-voice modem" command. But I am not quite sure whether this is really possibly. Any hints?

Regards, Christoph Gartmann

Reply to
Christoph Gartmann
Loading thread data ...

I couldn't answer you totally authoritatively, but I would suspect not. An analog modem is going to require a DSP at some point. Ie. the 36xx/37xx/38xx solution with NM-1CT1 card doing analog modems still requires a NM- DSP card in order to terminate the analog calls coming in over ISDN.

The 2503 is long before cisco dabbled in modems or DSPs.

You'd be able to take in ISDN calls to the box or place outgoing ISDN calls, but not voice or modem over the B channel of that ISDN connection.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

~ snipped-for-privacy@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes: ~ >does an old router 2503I with an ISDN-BRI-interface support the dial-in via an ~ >analog modem over the BRI interface? It has an "incoming-voice modem" command. ~ >But I am not quite sure whether this is really possibly. Any hints? ~ ~ I couldn't answer you totally authoritatively, but I would suspect not.

I *can* answer this authoritatively, and the answer is definitely not.

~ An ~ analog modem is going to require a DSP at some point. Ie. the 36xx/37xx/38xx ~ solution with NM-1CT1 card doing analog modems still requires a NM- ~ DSP card in order to terminate the analog calls coming in over ISDN. ~ ~ The 2503 is long before cisco dabbled in modems or DSPs.

Exactly so.

~ You'd be able to take in ISDN calls to the box or place outgoing ISDN calls, ~ but not voice or modem over the B channel of that ISDN connection.

You could make this work with the 2503 something like this, maybe:

---U loop---[NT1]--S/T---------------------------------[[BRI0] 2503 [aux]] \\ / \\_[analog TA]_[analog modem]__________________/

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.