2501 Cisco IP WAN link not routing

This is bound to be me being really stupid but I can't work out what I am doing wrong. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Sorry if this is not the right place to post.

We have a remote site which is connected to our - mainly IPX - network using a 2Mb serial link with Cisco 2501's at each end. Each Cisco is configured to use the Ethernet port and one Serial Port. The WAN link has been running fine for 7 years but we're now keen to introduce IP to the remote clients as part of a migration to the Novell IP client. The IPX routing is working fine. However, I can't get IP to route between the two sites.

Facts:

• The local end is connected to our LAN using the 192.168.150.0 network (the router Ethernet being 192.168.160.61 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0).

• The local router's Serial 0 port has an IP of 192.168.68.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

• The far end router's Serial 0 port has an IP of 192.168.68.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0
  • The far end router's Ethernet port has an IP of 192.168.67.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0
  • There are IP devices on the far end network which are correctly replying to pings from the far end router console
  • The routers are running IOS 11.2
  • The IPX routing is working fine

If a client on the near network (192.168.150.0) tries to ping a device (e.g.

192.168.87.7) on the far network, it times out and fails. If the client tries to ping the IP address of the far end router's Ethernet card (e.g. 192.168.87.1), it works fine. If I try a tracert

C:\>tracert 192.168.87.1

Tracing route to 192.168.87.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

Reply to
matt
Loading thread data ...

Matt,

First your explanation contradicts the ip addresses in your configs.Typo's ? Second, have you tried traceroutes step by step? Third, if you do a sh ip route , do you see the networks you configured? Last thing , you should check if that the devices you try to ping remotely knows the way back, e.g default route ?

Reply to
DB

Hiya - sorry it took so long to respond but I had difficulty getting the remote office to reconfigure a device

You were spot on, the device ta the other end (i.e. beyond the router) didn't not have its default gateway set to the router and so pings were not being returned. Once that was configured, it worked a treat

Thanks very much for your help

matt

Reply to
matt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.