Help for a newbie to Cisco routing

Hello everybody,

I hope someone can help. I have inherated a network with a business class Cable connection and a Cisco 2960G switch. Between the Cable modem and the switch is a netgear wireless router. The network has 25 hardwired connections and 2 wireless access points. The problem is that the Netgear router is being overloaded and dropping the internet connection. I have purchased a Cisco 2621 router to replace the netgear as the router. I have configured the Router with a static address for ethernet port 0/0 of 192.168.1.1( the address of the internal network) and have set ethernet port 0/1 to recieve its address from DHCP( from the cable modem). My problem is that I can not get out from any of the computers on the network. I can ping from the router and do a traceroute, but can't figure out how to connect the 2 lan ports. I have been reading alot about the router and its configuration and can not find the piece that explains how to setup routing between the 2 lan ports. Do I need to use NAT on both ports one pointing in and one pointing out? Or do I need to set a static route between the ports? Or do I need a combination of the 2 options?

Thank you for any assistance.

Daryl

Reply to
baron1211
Loading thread data ...

Most likely you will need NAT in your config. You could post some of your config and let us look at it? From the router can you ping to the internet?

Reply to
Artie Lange

Re-reading the post, it looks like the router is getting an IP from the cable service so most likely is a NAT issue. Do you also have any route statement configured?

Reply to
Artie Lange

Do your internal users have IP configurations ? Your internal computers were probably obtaining thier IP addresses / gateway information from the Netgear router, which you have replaced. You will need to look into configuring your new Cisco as a DHCP server so your internal users can obtain what they need. Once the above is verified, you will need to NAT your inside interface to your outside interface.

Reply to
John Agosta

On Oct 3, 11:20=A0am, "John Agosta" wrote:

The network has it own DHCP and DNS server on it. All the clients recieve thier address from it. The netgear is just a router at this point. What I am hoping to accomplish is, Keep the internal network as it is and use the 2621 and its 2 LAN ports to allow the clients to connect to the internet.

I have been trying to figure out how to set the routing between the 2 port on the 2621 so it passes internet traffic from the outside world to my internal network. Below is a show ip interface output. I don't know if this will help

Library#show ip interface FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is down Internet address is 192.168.1.1/24 Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255 Address determined by non-volatile memory MTU is 1500 bytes Helper address is not set Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled Multicast reserved groups joined: 224.0.0.1 224.0.0.2 224.0.0.9 Outgoing access list is not set Inbound access list is not set Proxy ARP is enabled Security level is default Split horizon is enabled ICMP redirects are always sent ICMP unreachables are always sent ICMP mask replies are never sent IP fast switching is enabled IP fast switching on the same interface is disabled IP Flow switching is disabled IP CEF switching is disabled IP Fast switching turbo vector IP multicast fast switching is enabled IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled IP route-cache flags are Fast Router Discovery is enabled IP output packet accounting is disabled IP access violation accounting is disabled TCP/IP header compression is disabled RTP/IP header compression is disabled Probe proxy name replies are disabled Policy routing is disabled Network address translation is disabled WCCP Redirect outbound is disabled WCCP Redirect inbound is disabled WCCP Redirect exclude is disabled BGP Policy Mapping is disabled Serial0/0 is administratively down, line protocol is down Internet protocol processing disabled FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is down Internet address will be negotiated using DHCP Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255 MTU is 1500 bytes Helper address is not set Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled Outgoing access list is not set Inbound access list is not set Proxy ARP is enabled Security level is default Split horizon is enabled ICMP redirects are always sent ICMP unreachables are always sent ICMP mask replies are never sent IP fast switching is enabled IP fast switching on the same interface is enabled IP Flow switching is disabled IP CEF switching is disabled IP Fast switching turbo vector IP multicast fast switching is enabled IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled IP route-cache flags are Fast Router Discovery is disabled IP output packet accounting is disabled IP access violation accounting is disabled TCP/IP header compression is disabled RTP/IP header compression is disabled Probe proxy name replies are disabled Policy routing is disabled Network address translation is disabled WCCP Redirect outbound is disabled WCCP Redirect inbound is disabled WCCP Redirect exclude is disabled BGP Policy Mapping is disabled

Hope this give some view ito how I have tried to set it up and where I have messed up.

Thanks

Daryl

Reply to
baron1211

"baron1211" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@17g2000hsk.googlegroups.com... On Oct 3, 11:20 am, "John Agosta" wrote:

The network has it own DHCP and DNS server on it. All the clients recieve thier address from it. The netgear is just a router at this point. What I am hoping to accomplish is, Keep the internal network as it is and use the 2621 and its 2 LAN ports to allow the clients to connect to the internet.

I have been trying to figure out how to set the routing between the 2 port on the 2621 so it passes internet traffic from the outside world to my internal network. Below is a show ip interface output. I don't know if this will help

Library#show ip interface FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is down Internet address is 192.168.1.1/24 Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255 Address determined by non-volatile memory MTU is 1500 bytes Helper address is not set Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled Multicast reserved groups joined: 224.0.0.1 224.0.0.2 224.0.0.9 Outgoing access list is not set Inbound access list is not set Proxy ARP is enabled Security level is default Split horizon is enabled ICMP redirects are always sent ICMP unreachables are always sent ICMP mask replies are never sent IP fast switching is enabled IP fast switching on the same interface is disabled IP Flow switching is disabled IP CEF switching is disabled IP Fast switching turbo vector IP multicast fast switching is enabled IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled IP route-cache flags are Fast Router Discovery is enabled IP output packet accounting is disabled IP access violation accounting is disabled TCP/IP header compression is disabled RTP/IP header compression is disabled Probe proxy name replies are disabled Policy routing is disabled Network address translation is disabled WCCP Redirect outbound is disabled WCCP Redirect inbound is disabled WCCP Redirect exclude is disabled BGP Policy Mapping is disabled Serial0/0 is administratively down, line protocol is down Internet protocol processing disabled FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is down Internet address will be negotiated using DHCP Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255 MTU is 1500 bytes Helper address is not set Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled Outgoing access list is not set Inbound access list is not set Proxy ARP is enabled Security level is default Split horizon is enabled ICMP redirects are always sent ICMP unreachables are always sent ICMP mask replies are never sent IP fast switching is enabled IP fast switching on the same interface is enabled IP Flow switching is disabled IP CEF switching is disabled IP Fast switching turbo vector IP multicast fast switching is enabled IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled IP route-cache flags are Fast Router Discovery is disabled IP output packet accounting is disabled IP access violation accounting is disabled TCP/IP header compression is disabled RTP/IP header compression is disabled Probe proxy name replies are disabled Policy routing is disabled Network address translation is disabled WCCP Redirect outbound is disabled WCCP Redirect inbound is disabled WCCP Redirect exclude is disabled BGP Policy Mapping is disabled

Hope this give some view ito how I have tried to set it up and where I have messed up.

Thanks

Daryl

Your "line protocol is down" indicates the Ethernets are not terminated correctly. Are there hubs / switches involved ? You may have the wrong cable type. (crossover vs straigh through issues) Also, it would help to see a "show run" output.

Reply to
John Agosta

The setup goes from a comcast cable modem to the cisco 2621 router then to a 2960G 48 port switch. I will get a Show run and post this morning. Right now I have a strait thru cable from the modem to the router and a strait thru to the switch.

Comcast Modem Cisco 2621 Cisco

2060G 48 ___ Strait thru _________ Strait thru ___________ | | ------------------- | |--------------------------- | |------------- Inside Network ------- Port 0/1 ---------------- Port 0/0 ------------------

Sorry for the lame artwork, but this is the basic setup I have put togeather. I have had a netgear router inplace of the Cisco for several weeks now and it has functioned,not reliablly, but functioned.

Thanks for all the help.

Daryl

Reply to
baron1211

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Cisco

OK here is a SHOW RUN.

Library#show run Building configuration...

Current configuration : 917 bytes ! version 12.2 service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime no service password-encryption ! hostname Library ! enable secret 5 $1$H2KO$nJxIjx6nLnkvtEvvIPi/c0 enable password T0rnad0 ! ip subnet-zero ! ! ! ip dhcp-client network-discovery informs 2 discovers 0 ! ! ! interface FastEthernet0/0 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat outside ip irdp speed auto full-duplex ! interface Serial0/0 no ip address shutdown no fair-queue ! interface FastEthernet0/1 ip address dhcp ip route-cache same-interface speed auto full-duplex ! router rip network 192.168.1.0 ! ip classless ip default-network 192.168.1.0 ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0/1 ip http server ! access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 access-list dynamic-extended dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit dialer-list 1 protocol ipx permit ! line con 0 line aux 0 line vty 0 4 password T0rnad0 login ! end

Hope this give some more information.

Daryl

Reply to
baron1211

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.