IRB Concurent Routing & Bridging problem

This is the setup i need:

---ethernet1---eth0( router1 )ser0-----ser0( router2 )eth0------ethernet2

where ethernet 1 has the subnet 10.0.0.0/8 ethernet2 200.0.0.0 /24

routes to the other side have been added to the routing tables of the host (so the hosts know where to deliver their packets)

now i want the router1 to bridge from ethernet 1 over the serial line to router2 as transparant bridging.

The strange thing is that i can ping from some hosts while others wont work. here are my partial configs:

!router1============================== version 12.1 ip subnet-zero ! bridge irb ! interface Ethernet0 no ip address no ip route-cache no ip mroute-cache bridge-group 1 ! interface Serial0 no ip address no ip route-cache no ip mroute-cache clockrate 500000 bridge-group 1 ! interface BVI1 no ip address ! ip classless ! bridge 1 protocol ieee !====================================

!router2 version 12.1 ! ip subnet-zero ! interface Ethernet0 ip address 200.0.0.206 255.255.255.0 no ip route-cache no ip mroute-cache ! interface Serial0 ip address 10.0.0.200 255.0.0.0 no ip route-cache no ip mroute-cache ! ip classless !====================================

so the first router should pass any packet between the ethernet and the serial line. that works !!! IF a host on the 10.0.0.0 network sends data (the mac of the sending host is seen in the router2 arp table) despite router2 can not reply to that mac address

why? any professional to help me out with this one please? i would appreciate it if one could help me to solve this one

Reply to
polleke
Loading thread data ...

Hi I had an open case on Cisco-Tac for that issue pls configure: bridge irb bridge 1 protocol ieee bridge 1 protocol route-ip

I would advise you to configure CEF on the router When working with "ppp bridge ip" all the packet switching goes directly to the CPU. By working with IRB the switching will be installed into CEF.

Regards Joseph - CCIP CCNP Israel.

Reply to
Joseph Nuramid

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.