1721 question

I posted this earlier to alt.certification.cisco but then I came across this grouo and hope this is a good place to post my query...

I have two Cisco 1721 routers. I am running IOS 12.4 / 12.3 (memory constraint on one). Both are Ethernet / Ethernet using WIC-1ENET cards. I am looking for a way to improve performance; can I change the WIC-1ENET (10baset) for a WIC-4ESW and run instead at Full-duplex / 100Mbps? Are there any considerations e.g. like IOS version? If this is possible, do you think this is a good idea (I have read that there may be a 10Mbps limitation on the processor?)?

Reply to
NewsGroupQuestion
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
The 1721 only rates at 12000 pps, 6.14 Mbps using CEF (and less than

1 Mbps using process switching.) Using 100 Mbps would reduce serialization delay (latency) but would not improve your maximum performance.

If 10 Mbps is not enough for your purposes, then nothing in the 17xx line is fast enough. Some of the 26xx are above 10 Mbit/s, but those are all EOS now, so you'd be looking at a 28xx.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.