IP in Subinterface

Hi everybody. Does anybody know if it's possible to give an IP Address to a SubInterface in a 3750 CISCO Switch? I need to do that becouse i don't want make vlans due the limitated MAC witch it can be used. Of course, I don't want to buy a router either! ;)

Thank's a lot. Miguel

Reply to
miguel
Loading thread data ...

How do you create sub-interfaces on an Ethernet switch?

You will need to create VLAN's if you want any routing ability. (remember it is a switch not a router)

Toby

Reply to
toby

Hi, the 3750 switch, actually can act as a router. With no switch port command, you are able to use the switch as a mini router. Then you can asaing IP address to any port, and create some subinterfaces. The problem is that I need to create subinterfaces with IP address. Also, the CISCO 3750 have MPLS and routing functions, witch as you probably know, is a layer 3 feature.

Regards Miguel

toby wrote:

Reply to
miguel

Hi Miguel

I didn't know about the no switch port option. This may come in handy (i have a 3550 for lab use).

If the switch acts as a proper router with this option then I guess you would need to use an encapsulation mode on the main interface to enable vlan routing and use dot1q or isl before being able to apply ip addresses on the sub-interfaces. I haven't tried this on my 3550 yet though, but this is how I achieve it on a 3620 with fastethernet to achieve intervlan routing from a ethernet trunk.

Regards

Toby

Reply to
toby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.