need for redundancy: ethernet-address twice in one LAN

The switch should forward frames whose DA is *unknown* (to the switch) out all ports other than the one on which it arrived. Once your devices start sending ARP messages, the switch will "learn" the address, and will then forward only to the port on which it last heard the ARP.

One "solution" is to make sure that your receiving devices never send any frames (or at least, never send any frames using the "duplicated" address); the switch will then never learn the address and continue to "flood" frames to all ports. (You did say that this was a receive-only application; if it *truly* is, you should be able to turn off all transmissions.)

A better "solution" was suggested by another poster: Assign a multicast address to your application, and enable that multicast address on the two (or more) machines that you want to hear these frames. This is

*precisely* the sort of thing that multicast was designed for.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert
Loading thread data ...

Hello everybody,

this may sound like a strange thing but it does make sense in my case:

Context: I want 2 machines to receive the same ethernet packages (for redundancy reasons). The communication is unidirectional and uses UDP on top. Currently this works by having 2 nodes with the same HW-/Ethernet-address and IP-address on one hub(!)

Question: How can I do the same thing with a switch? Originally I thought this wasn't possible, then I found out about port mirroring which kinda-works (but won't scale). Later on, somebody told me that this (having the same HW-address on 2 switch-ports) is supposed to work out of the box with ANY switch. Can anybody help me on this last statement? Of course I tried that and it wouldn't work, it just sent data the the port that last received the answer to an ARP. Any hints?

Thanks a lot!

-Rainer

Reply to
Rainer Birkenmaier

Yes. Stay with the hub. It is the perfect device, as it replicates a packet entering port "A" to all ports "not A". Trying to convert a switch into a buffered repeater is at best a hack if it works at all. Thus said in case of GE where there are no hubs available one will have to bind the application to a multicast address. Being a polite person, I am not going the comment on the "strange" application... :-)

Reply to
Manfred Kwiatkowski

In article , Rainer Birkenmaier wrote: :this may sound like a strange thing but it does make sense in my case:

:Context: :I want 2 machines to receive the same ethernet packages (for redundancy :reasons). The communication is unidirectional and uses UDP on top. :Currently this works by having 2 nodes with the same HW-/Ethernet-address :and IP-address on one hub(!)

There are probably other ways to achieve the redundancy, but I lack the experience in that area. Depending on what has to be accomplished in your situation, you might find the material on Vincent C. Jone's web site to be useful.

:Question: :How can I do the same thing with a switch? :Originally I thought this wasn't possible, then I found out about port :mirroring which kinda-works (but won't scale). Later on, somebody :told me that this (having the same HW-address on 2 switch-ports) is :supposed to work out of the box with ANY switch. Can anybody help me on :this last statement?

It's obviously false. Many switches do not allow you to assign particular MAC addresses to ports. The MAC address of a particular port isn't even necessarily allocated by a fixed algorithm -- it could be dependant on the order the ports came up. Static MAC allocation for layer 2 ports seem to be quite common, though.

Something I read awhile ago indicated that each layer 2 port is required to have distinct MAC addresses in order for spanning tree to work properly. I have not investigated this point to determine whether there are allowed exceptions beyond turning off spanning tree for those ports.

:Of course I tried that and it wouldn't work, it just :sent data the the port that last received the answer to an ARP. :Any hints?

Oddly enough, just a couple of hours ago, I happened upon something that would perhaps suit your needs. I was reading through the release notes on the Cisco 3750 series, for IOS 12.1(14)EA or so [might have been 12.2(14)SE] and saw a "caveat" described there. It seems in that particular software release, if you had assigned a static MAC address to a port with active port security, then packets destined for that MAC were flooded to every port in the VLAN. {I'm probably missing out on a detail or two of what was required to cause the situation.} The implication is that 1) the Cisco 3750 allows user-specified MAC addresses on ports; and 2) you might be able to turn the flooding bug to your advantage in your situation. You could probably find the bug description by googling cisco.com for

3750 release-notes flooded

There may be other methods of achieving the desired end. Most modern switches allow per-vlan spanning tree and per-vlan MAC address tables so as to handle situations in which the same MAC address might show up on different ports of a switch due to participation in different VLANs or due to redundant links. Possibly HSRP would be suitable for your needs.

Sorry for the vagueness: I've only had -useful- modern multilayer switch for a couple of weeks and there is a lot to learn on it.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.