What's the right way to terminate RG6 Quad with F-Conn compression connectors?

I've been trying to fold back all four layers (two braid, two foil) before pushing the cable into the F-Conn FS6U-RV connectors, and it's might hard pushing.

I am suspecting that maybe not all of those layers want to be folded back.

Does the innermost foil layer want to stay wrapped around the dialectrec?

Do any of the outer layers want to get cut off rather than folded back?

Today I got my antenna and rotor back up on their roof mount and even cleaned out the rain gutters. With a few clues on foil and braid disposition, I'll be a happy camper indeed.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank Denman Denman Systems (please remove the x from my email address)

Reply to
Frank B Denman
Loading thread data ...

Thanks, Jeff.

I had looked at both those pages, but had assumed they were showing some kind of RG6 that had only a single layer of braid. The tool I'm using is the CablePro LCCT-1, and with the information you have so kindly supplied, the process is *way* easier.

Frank

Frank Denman Denman Systems (please remove the x from my email address)

Reply to
Frank B Denman

Glad you realized that the bonded foil needs to stay there, bonded to the dielectric. It needs to stay in place to maintain shielding integrity.

An excellent article on drops and cable preparation (w/pics) can be found at . Click on the "Drops" link.

CIAO!

Ed

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

Just the braid gets folded back. Not the foil.

This is for a different connector, but it's the same general idea:

formatting link
The FS6U is the F-Conn universal F connector. However, I couldn't find anything with the -RV suffix. What's that?

Also, the tool should be doing the brute force work, not you. What kinda tool are you using? If it's a bench vise and a hammer, forget it.

Correct. Just the braid.

No, the connector plug slides between the insulated center conductor and the foil. There's no way you can get the center conductor, plus insulation, plus foil, into the center hole. Remove the foil.

Yes, all of them.

F-conn has a video on how it's done on their web pile:

formatting link
(8.4MB) You can sorta see how the cable is prepared (except they covered up the interesting part with text).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Argh. That's wrong. The inner foil stays on the center conductor insulation and it does fit in the connector hole. For quad shielded, I remove the outer foil and outer braid. The inner foil stays put. Only the inner braid gets folded back. I've managed to pound a connector to together with both braids folded back, but it was rough.

(Reminder: Never yack with visitors while posting to usenet.)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.