RG6 to RJ45

Short time ago read an article about a new product that would allow an RG6 connection to be converted to RJ45 jack. Allows unused RG6 runs to be transformed to network use at the wall plate. Similar transceiver would convert cable at termination point.

Does anyone know the company that manufactures these?

Thank You.

Reply to
dpw
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE_1

ABLE_1 thanks for your reply. Went to their site and did not see solution there. Could you give me more detail on what product they are supposed to carry?

To explain more, fellow tech called me about a job he is on where an electrician ran network cable in new house. 2 Problems: he ran Cat3 instead of Cat5e or Cat6 and now the walls are all closed up. The one thing he did do was run a lot of excess RG6 drops. And a few months ago I read about these wall plates that can convert RG6 to RJ45. The article may have been in Residential Systems Magazine or SCN (System Contractor News). I have not found the back issue yet.

Thank You.

ABLE_1 wrote:

Reply to
dpw

Oh, I thought you were working with CCTV and wanted to use UTP to transmit video.

I do not know what you are referring to but it would seem to me that you would need some thing from here

formatting link
On the other hand since you are taking a residence not commercial and if the CAT3 was with 4 pair I would just install some CAT5 jacks and hook her up. It will work but your transmission speed will suffer a bit. But in a residential environment you will hardly notice enough to make a difference.

Good Luck.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Appreciate the reply. Checked with blackbox earlier today and they say they do not have a solution. Homeowner says he isn't going to accept the Cat3 and is telling ec that either he finds a solution or is going to be fishing a lot new wire. I think the throughput on these media converters from RG6 to RJ45 was good. Unfortunately still cannot find company that had them.

Thanks aga> Oh, I thought you were working with CCTV and wanted to use UTP to transmit > video.

Reply to
dpw

I believe what your in need of is a (10 Base T)Ethernet converter to (10 Base 2)Coax. I think you will have more trouble than you really need. And if the homeowner insist on CAT5 or else he will file suit or something. Give him the CAT5 and bite the bullet. Depending on construction it is not that difficult to pull in the CAT5. I would leave the CAT3 in case he wants to put in phone jacks.

But if you insist on the converter the here you go. I don't think I can help you any more Good Luck and have a good weekend.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
ABLE_1

You could try

formatting link
it lets you use the RF and the Ethernet. I just a outlet box in size too.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Crapser

I'm willing to bet that the throughput on the Cat3, particularly for the short distances involved in a residence will be higher than what will come out of any converter. The contractor shouldn't be let off the hook though. I'd make him pull the Cat 5e in or write a healthy check. As for the use of the Cat3, if there actually WAS a noticeable difference in throughput, he could always use 802.11g wireless.

Years ago, we had a T1 line in our office. The telco made a big deal about cable quality and even pulled a new riser 10 floors to serve the T1. When we moved the office to the 6th floor, the telco wanted a ton of money to relocate the equipmet so, instead, we dropped some Cat 3 (because it was handy) down the four floors, hooked the T1 to it and it ran just fine. My point here is that while the contractor definitely screwed up and should be made to fix or repair the problem, Cat 3 will perform beyond the published spec and should be given a chance since it's already there.

Reply to
bruceR

Brett,

That's it. They are the compnay that I was looking for. Their Multinet-100 is the solution that I saw advertised a few months ago. Am going to look into this.

Thank You very much.

Brett Crapser wrote:

Reply to
dpw

Very well said and I agree. The Cat5e advantage is that it will filter out a lot of noise due to the added twist per foot, but in a residence the noise level is minimal at best.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Bruce,

Appreciate the reply. I agree that the Cat3 would likely work fine for most apps especially just some browsing of Internet and similar. However, this is a new high-end house and it really should have been wired to even future specs. (I would have gone with Cat6.) Have no idea what the homeowner will want to use the network for in the future.

We are beginning to load up the "internal" network infrastructure with so many new things these days, if I was this homeowner that ec would certainly be told to find a way to replace all that Cat3. This is a BIG problem we are seeing out there: ec's and others that don't understand networks. Not all; some are excellent. But the ones that don't know what they are doing need to stay away from it just as those of us that do low-voltage stay away from the high-voltage.

Brett in this thread gave me the link to the product I had seen advertised. Not sure of the throughput and cost but certainly will look into it.

Thanks again for your response.

bruceR wrote:

Reply to
dpw

Reply to my own post after checking out Multinet product:

Still have bandwidth issue because looks like specs are only up to

10/Mbps. So not a good solution for this situation. Definitely could be viable for other applications sucha as retrofit in multiple dwelling building.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Appreciate the opinions and advice.

dpw wrote:

Reply to
dpw

I'm eating my share of crow this morning. After more research on the Multinet site I came across a higher bandwidth solution:

formatting link

dpw wrote:

Reply to
dpw

Looks like a good solution BUT, before you spend the money, try running whatever it is you'll be doing over the Cat 3 and see if you're satisfied with the performance. One of my homes is wired with Cat3 meant just for telephone jacks. I got "lucky" as this was the model home and builder's office and they needed 3 phone lines. The other homes got standard 2 pair IW. Having only one phone line here, I use two pair to run ethernet from a 1st floor router to a ReplayTV on the 3d floor. I have two other ReplayTVs connected with 5e that I ran myself. Watching the 3d Floor ReplayTV on the first floor TV yields exactly the same quality as I get from the others connected with 5e. So, at least in this particular instance, I have full motion video running on Cat 3 successfully.

dpw wrote:

Reply to
bruceR

No problem 8-) I was just lucky and Google is your friend.

For such a high tech home - should have pulled fiber to all the rooms. But then I'm not made of money either. 8-)

Brett

Reply to
Brett Crapser

try this link. it looks like it might do what you want.

formatting link

Reply to
Tommy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.