I am looking to retrofit my existing single story home with a structured wiring system. I am looking to install the 42" leviton panel flush mounted in the laundry room. Most rooms will have 2 cat5e and 2 rg6 cables. Some rooms will have more cables like living room and my office. These drops will replace the existing daisy chained cat5 for phone and home run rg6 cable. Some questions I currently have are:
- Will flush mounting the leviton box in a retrofit application be a problem? I think my studs are not 16" centers (24?) so I was planning on mounting the box against one stud and then just securing the other side of the box against a 2x4" secured to the drywall.
- Should I use two color cables to each room? I have mixed feelings on this one. In most rooms the situation will likely be 1 data and 1 phone outlet. Pulling two colors make sense for that but would quickly loose it's meaning as I find the need to reconfigure things. I am planning on buying 2 boxes of cable to make the pulls eaiser (2 at once).
- Many of the cat5e drops will be for phone, but want the flexibility to use them for data in the future if needed. I am planning on terminating all connections with leviton quickport inserts. Should I just terminate everything with cat5e connectors? Should I use different color inserts? I've normally always seem orange used for network, but I don't think there is any standard on this. My concern is what would happen if someone were to accidently cross over a phone and a network cable. Is this something I need to worry about?
- In the attic I was planning on using cablecat jhooks to keep everything clean and organized. Anything else I should be looking at?
- The current boxes for the phone are normal boxes with a closed back. This makes it very difficult to pull cables. What are my options for this? My current plan is to just cut these boxes out (dremel) and then put in low voltage (no back) retrofit boxes (with the tabs). Either the carlon or the caddy metal of plastic cut-in rings.
- I am planning on using the Genesis 4978 cat5e cable and 5025b quad shield rg6. Any other brands I should consider?
- For rg6 termination I am planning on using the compression crimp connector from platinum and the platinum crimping tool.
Thanks for reading!