10-Gig fiber color

Is anyone up to date on the standard color for 10-Gig 50/125 fiber? I believe that Aqua was on the table - was it passed as the new standard?

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 4146 messages and counting!

Reply to
Geo
Loading thread data ...

I guess you don't want the cable to clash with the paint in the network closet. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

As far as I know it's one of the proposed additions to TIA-568-C.3 standard, still couple years out.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 4157 messages and counting!

Reply to
geo

Yes, I think it will be accepted as it is backed by the SYSTIMAX group that is historically pretty heavy represented in the standard commities. On the other hand, the jacket color is optional (and will still be optional after it gets included into the standard). So, you can always establish your own company-wide color standard and then order your cables according to that standard. One other standard that may be relevant in terms of colors is TIA-606A and its next revisions.

Reply to

As far as I'm aware all manufacturers have agreed to use aqua as the jacket colour.

Reply to
Andy Kelly

There is a good point about this in this months Cabling & Installation Magazine. Points out the fact that TIA specifications are voluntary, and anyone with the finatial wherewithall can make a fiber cable of FDDI grade 62.5, and give it an aqua jacket. Plus a good article on laser optimized cable.

Just thought I'd bring it up.

Reply to
Justin T. Clausen

Justin, You are right about the TIA standards' status as well as EIA, IEEE and any other performance-based standard to that matter. You are not required by law to comply, and you will not be liable if you do not comply. However, the importance of the standards is in that they create a common ground, per say, so equipment manufacturers know what to expect from the infrastructure and vise versa. Also, from a manufacturer's stand point standard compliance makes a great selling point. Therefore it would not be to anyone's interest to mix things up and make a cable that's not following industry trends as long as the trend is known and, better yet, standardized.

This is not to say that you cannot order a large amount of cable from any manufacturer in practically any color imaginable. As long as your order makes the factory busy for a while, they will be extremely flexible about your needs.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.