Netgear router to switch

About 12 years ago I used a Netgear router plugged into my cable modem and plugged an older airport into the Netgear changing the airport to a switch. Now I would like to use the new airport extreme as the router, but it doesn't have enough ethernet ports. I am trying to use the netgear as a switch, but I'm not sure what I should do to the Netgear other than plug the computers into it. Since I had to make a change in the old airport, I would think I would have to make a change in the Netgear.

Reply to
Kathy
Loading thread data ...

On the Netgear, disable DHCP. Also, disable the wireless functionality if you only want to use it as a switch. Leave the WAN port disconnected and connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Airport to a LAN port on the Netgear. That cable may need to be a crossover cable, but not likely.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Thank you, Char. I connected the cables as you said, and everything is working. I did not disable the DHCP because the screen that shows the Netgear settings no longer shows up in my browser, and I don't want to disturb what is working.

Reply to
Kathy

Perhaps the Netgear is on a different subnet, in which case it's probably safely out of your way and its DHCP server doesn't need to be disabled, strictly speaking. If you run into IP address conflicts in the future, be sure to revisit this. You don't want multiple DHCP servers on the same subnet. Other than that, rock on.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Of course if you have only one PC then you can have as many DHCP servers as you like and there will never be problems:)

Reply to
bod43

Only if the DHCP servers are all configured correctly.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.