SMC 7004ABR

Hi there, Is there a reason while I cannot connect to

formatting link
and windows updates site related to my SMC 7004ABR cable router? I also have problems sending html attachments, plain ones send just fine. I upgraded firmware a while ago and again just yesterday. I called the ISP they seem OK, I also tried from other computers, same issue. Should I disable the firewall? Thanks a lot, Calin

Reply to
Tester
Loading thread data ...

Your router should not be preventing you from connecting to Windows Update. However, the first thing you should do while troubleshooting any potential router problem is to take it out of the equation. Does the problem go away if you connect your PC directly to the cable modem bypassing the router?

Reply to
gray.wizard

I can get to "

formatting link
" but nothing on the site works; BUT if I disable javascript, microsoft is accessible & once past the main page, I can re-enable javascript if needed.

This is using Firefox & Sun java; my thought was that m$ is setup for m$ internet explorer & m$'s version of java to stop non-ie users.

Reply to
plew

Running Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Mandriva Linux with and without javascript and/or java enabled with Sun's jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586-rpm.bin install script.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Forgot to say it works for me. :)

Are we looking at the same ip addy

$ host

formatting link
formatting link
is an alias for toggle.www.ms.akadns.net. toggle.www.ms.akadns.net is an alias for g.www.ms.akadns.net. g.www.ms.akadns.net is an alias for lb1.www.ms.akadns.net. lb1.www.ms.akadns.net has address 207.46.198.30 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net has address 207.46.19.60 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net has address 207.46.199.30 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net has address 207.46.198.60 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net has address 207.46.19.30 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net has address 207.46.225.60 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net has address 207.46.20.30
formatting link
is an alias for toggle.www.ms.akadns.net. toggle.www.ms.akadns.net is an alias for g.www.ms.akadns.net. g.www.ms.akadns.net is an alias for lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.
formatting link
is an alias for toggle.www.ms.akadns.net. toggle.www.ms.akadns.net is an alias for g.www.ms.akadns.net. g.www.ms.akadns.net is an alias for lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.

Reply to
Bit Twister

You're mistaking Java and javascript. Whether you're using Sun Java or the Microsoft Virtual Machine makes no difference unless you're talking about Java, not javascript.

What could make a difference is what your browser is identifying itself as. If you installed a plug-in to cause it to tell a site that it's IE instead of Firefox, that may get you into sites that won't even allow a non-IE browser on the site. But if you come to a site that sends different browsers to different pages, like Microsoft does, then you'll be sent to the wrong page. And if they happen to use something that doesn't work in Firefox on the IE page, you're going to have a problem.

Also you're going to have difficult time troubleshooting this issue because of the way Microsoft is mirrored. Even though you and I might find microsoft.com resolving to the same IP address, routing and load balancing may cause us to be using entirely different servers. So if you're consistently being sent to server A, and I'm going to server B, if there is a problem on server A, I'll never see it. Essentially you may end-up treating something as a client-side problem because no one you know can duplicate it because they're really not using the same server that you are, even if the IP address matches.

Reply to
Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.