About cable modem firmware updates

Just learned today that I am not allowed to update my cable modem's firmware. Also, I have no say in whether or not my ISP updates that firmware!

"It's the standard." "It's common industry practice." etc.

Does this business model bother anybody else? Doesn't anybody else see where this can lead?

What's to stop, say, Arris, from deciding that it's time for SB6141 owners to buy a new modem and in order to force them to do that, release a firmware update which slowly decreases the modem's functionality until it quits working?

And if this precedent is established, what about things like "smart tvs" and other objects connected to the vaunted "internet of things"?

Yep, Joe Blow has owned his refrigerator for two years now. Time for him to get a new one. ***ZAP*** Refrigerator start cooling less and less efficiently each day until it doesn't work at all.

First, there was planned obsolescence with cars wherein the manufacturers deliberately engineered components to wear out much sooner than they should. Now, if this crap is allowed to continue without being challenged, the consumer will be allowing manufacturers to remotely disable equipment and force buying of newer models.

If ISPs want to treat cable modems like they own them, then they SHOULD own them and the end user shouldn't have to purchase or rent them.

Reply to
John Corliss
Loading thread data ...

dude, that's the cell phone industry model for many years now.

Ever notice your battery life seriously declining right around two years?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I don't have a cell phone. Never have. Batteries have a life span though. I know the rechargeable ones I use with my camera are retaining their charge less than when I first got them.

Reply to
John Corliss

1. in the old days users would load illegal modifications and steal bandwid th, while this does not stop it, it makes it harder.
  2. Certain firmwares are required for CERTAIN cmts's which are the cable co mpanies property and not yours, so it is best to let them update the firmwa re for you so they use the CORRECT one.
  3. The modem manufacturer actually works with the cable mso to develop the firmware updates, and last I knew they do not release them to retail purcha ses anyway.
  4. Whats to stop arris fromn killing your purchased modem? The Federal Trad e Commission,
    formatting link
    unless they'd like to stop being allowe d to sell their product on US soil. Not to mention how would they prevent k illing the MSO's modems they bought from them too, in which case they'd be shooting themselves in the foot becasue I guarantee you its a bigger market than selling them in Best Buy.
Reply to
tech9857

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.