SMC tech support CLUELESS online led not according to manual NEW ADSL

I just purchased a new SMC7904BRA which only works once in a while under Windows. The ISP set it up. It doesn't respond under Suse or Knoppix when Firefox or Konquerer gives it http://192.168.2.1 I called SMC tech support for more than an hour mostly to answer questions about where I bought, who am I, etc. all for their benefit. When I started asking questions they were CLUELESS about the online led not staying on according to their manual.

The bottom line was they just said if the modem ever worked once then there was nothing wrong with the modem, everything was my errors or errors from the ISP.

Most people would just give up but I want to know if SMC publishes false information or is it only the tech support people in India.

I also sent them an eMail with all of the logs. I guess they got what they wanted because they did not reply and I have been removed from the SMC customer database. The tech support person also said in the database that I had not purchased within the last 90 days. On the contrary I told him I had purchased it the day before.

If anyone can help me please do so. I thought the led might not always glow because I am using pppoAtm. I also thought it might not connect from linux because I might need to do something special in Suse or Knoppix before I shot 192.168.2.1 at it from the browser.

The box says it works under Linux and that is the main reason I bought it. There is no help for Linux inside the box. The print and CD is all for Windows 98, 2000, etc. I sure did not get Linux help from SMC tech support.

Reply to
suguru
Loading thread data ...

Hi

Sorry to about the problem that you are having with your SMC product, lets see if we can resolve the problem together.

- please turn any firewall software off for the moment

- Does the linux computer get an IP address from the router via DHCP (if yes which one)?

- Can you ping the router from linux?

- You said it works sometimes in Windows, what happens when it doesn't - can you still ping router, what happens when you renew the IP lease?

- Are we talking about one computer booting linux/windows or are these separate computers?

- have you tried doing a hard-reset on the router?

Kind Regards

Malte

suguru wrote:

Reply to
SUMMONER

1) Are you sure 192.168.2.1 is the IP address assigned to the router? 2) Are you sure the Linux box has an IP address inside the same network? (Preferably assigned by the router using DHCP, because it's a bit easier to make that work.) 3) What happens when you ping the router from the Linux box?

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Thanks to both of you for your good support in spite of my lack of support from SMC. Please let me give what I have done and where I think you can solve the problem. in console I did su -

ifconfig

ifstatus eth0

route -n

All three of these things show I am in a mess.

sudo /sbin/ifconfig shows Ethernet HWaddr as I have set it to the same mac as the SMC modem router. Is this absolutely necessary?

I also have UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST Is this absolutely necessary? RX packets:3010 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:2780 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:1693090 (1.6 Mb) TX bytes:313123 (305.7 Kb) Plus an Interrupt:# and a Base address:#

l also did route add -net default gw MyIspGateway# dev eth0 I got back SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable.

ifstatus eth0 yeilds eth0 device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78) ERROR: No configuration found for eth0

I tried Yast network devices > routing but I can't see a change as a result of adding in MyIspGateway#

I also could not change the route with the cli like this. route add -net default gateway MyIspGateway# dev eth0 Which gives syntax error or SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

Here are 3 exact commands to spot the problems I had already been seeing. If you can please give me complete exact commands to fix it. SMC techs just say things like run our setup and put in all the right values. When I tell them values or ask them to troubleshoot they just say that I will have to find out those by myself. I'm sure you or someone can give me exact commands with variables such as MyIspGateway# so that I can plug in the correct values into the variables and be up and running.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
suguru via HWKB.com

Just for grins, have you tried running `dhcpcd`?

If the SMC is a pure modem, this won't work and you'll need to load some sort of Linux module [driver]. But if it's a modem with built-in router, it will.

It depends on the ISP. Some cable use MAC. Most DSL does not.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

ifstatus eth0 tells me I need to setup a config for eth0 Can anyone help me do that?

Here is some more information that might be helpful. I will try Robert's suggestion and post it ASAP.

I did ping MyIspGateway (as an Ip adr) and got the usual connect: Network is unreachable But I can ping my router MyRouterIpAdr == 192.168.2.1 # ping 192.168.2.1 PING 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=4.47 ms etc 64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.382 ms

--- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9004ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.345/0.778/4.478/1.233 ms # route add -net default gw MyIspGateway dev eth0 SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable # ifstatus eth0 eth0 device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78) ERROR: No configuration found for eth0

Robert Redelmeier wrote:

Reply to
suguru via HWKB.com

# dhcpcd -d # dhcpcd -d dhcpcd: MAC address = MyRouterMacAdr dhcpcd: your IP address = 192.168.2.100 The surprise here was 192.168.2.100 since I had done ifconfig and set it to 192.168.2.11

I wanted to see the log so as root I continued with this and failed # cat /var/run/syslogd.pid cat: /var/run/syslogd.pid: No such file or directory # cat /var/log/dhcpcd.log cat: /var/log/dhcpcd.log: No such file or directory

suguru wrote:

Reply to
suguru via HWKB.com

No surprise, dhcpcd will set it to what the router wants. But it should also have set up route & DNS, so you should be able to do:

ping 192.168.2.1 http://192.168.2.1 and login or ping

formatting link
if everything is fine

My Linux system doesn't use these files either. I get stuff dropping in /var/log/debug and /var/log/syslog If you just want the PID, `psu aux` gives it fast.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I have no idea what `ifstatus` does. I don't have one. With `dhcpcd` you shouldn't need to do any `ifconfig` or `route` manually and if you do (or have leftovers) it could break.

That might also mean the modem is not connecting. HTTP in and see.

Excellent! eth0 is working and properly configured. Now you need to check the `route` tables.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I telephoned the dealer who brought me a Linksys AG241. We plugged it in and filled out just a few lines in the setup screen. It worked immediately. I got on Google and got an instant reply to a query. So I sent the SMC back to the dealer who said that had been the experience of his other clients with SMC.

I'll probably figure out a way to get in trouble with the Linksys but for now I am really happy to move from SMC to Linksys.

Thanks for all your help. BTW after plugging in the Linksys ifconfig ifstatus eth0 and route -n all show a nice amount of helpful info and there are no errors.

Also the L>> ifstatus eth0 tells me I need to setup a config for eth0

Reply to
suguru via HWKB.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.