one computer loses broadband connection, one doesn't

I have two computers on a 4 port (wired) router through a cable modem. The Presario 6420 will not maintain broadband connection if left idle, and sometimes even while surfing. The other system, a homebuilt, never loses connection through the same network, so it must be something with the Compaq itself.

I have to completely restart the Compaq to get the connection back, this is a serious pain.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
takoma
Loading thread data ...

OS version?

Have you tried swapping the cables and/or ports used?

Reply to
DLR

Right-Click on My Computer. Click on Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adapters, and double-click the name of the network adapter you're using. Go to the Power Management tab, and uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Reply to
Warren

It is running a firewall? Make certain that it is not blocking any ports referring to the router. I had one computer with intermittent connection issues, and it was ZoneAlarm blocking the DNS port to the router's address. I opened it up, and no more problems.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

warren, I turned off the power management, and immediately my connection was available again. Perhaps this fixed it, know by tomorrow.

Andrew, I am running zonealarm, so if there is still a problem after warren's suggestion i will look into it further, will need help with that though.

thanks a bunch so far!

Reply to
takoma

Ok, maybe that wasn't it. I :mad: was surfing and lost connection suddenly for no apparent reason. Plus, looked at my other system (which never loses connection) and it is set to allow computer to turn off device.

Can you explain the zonealarm procedure, perhaps that will fix the intermittent connection problem?

Reply to
takoma

I discovered that if I just shut down zonealarm, then restart it, my connection comes back. Can you please help me to fix that port access issue you spoke of?

Reply to
takoma

I don't have ZoneAlarm on my computers (the original issue was awhile ago on one of my parent's computers.) Maybe somebody could post some more details info, but generally: Look in the ZoneAlarm log to see what is being blocked. Most home routers are set to 192.168.0.1, so anything being blocked to/from that address could be the problem. If I remember, and if it is DNS being blocked, you need to open up port 53 to the router's address.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.